Dubbed Rooster

Discussion in 'Pictures & Stories of My Chickens' started by TexasLady, Feb 22, 2013.

1. TexasLady

TexasLady Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 27, 2012
    I have a person who works for me that wanted one of my roosters. I made him promise that he would not fight the rooster (which he said he liked to watch and had been to cock fights) and that he would not dub him. I told him that I would not sell to someone who was going to fight a rooster and I was giving him this bird, so he had to promise he would do nothing with this bird like that. He said he just wanted the rooster to keep with some of his hens for fertile eggs. He lives right next door to me (on an extension of my property) and so I am occasionally able to see his birds, but not often.

Well, I saw the rooster today, and he has been dubbed. I'm so dang mad about this I can hardly stand it! I am almost unable to contain my anger and want to just go and knock on his door and start screaming at him.

I GAVE him this bird. I did not sell the bird. He promised me that he would not do anything to make the bird look like a fighting bird.

I live in California, and even to possess a bird that looks like it might fight is a misdemeanor. Now I don't want the bird on my property.

Would you be angry or is this my fault for giving him the bird? How would you proceed?

2. Dowie

Dowie Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 29, 2011
    What does 'dubbed' mean? Is this something that is done to identify it as a fighting bird? Take the bird back off him - he broke the agreement. He knew how you'd feel, and he must have known you would catch him out! That seems pretty disrespectful of your relationship.

Last edited: Feb 23, 2013
  3. Overoberyl

Overoberyl Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 29, 2012
    Florida
    I don't know why you would give a bird to someone who has admitted to supporting that kind of illegal activity. A person like that obviously has questionable judgment and no surprise he is less than trustworthy. Take the bird back and process him for meat. It's a better option than what you are risking otherwise.

And btw if it were me, he would be fired and evicted from my property. No brainer.

Last edited: Feb 23, 2013
    1 person likes this.
  4. redsoxs

redsoxs Chicken Obsessed

Jul 17, 2011
    North Central Kansas
    He broke your agreement - tell him to return the bird, If he doesn't, turn him it to the authorities.

5. Chickenfan4life

Chickenfan4life Overrun With Chickens

Aug 28, 2012
    Planet No
    Knock on his door, demand to have the bird back; if you don't get immediate compliance, get the authorities, or sneak onto his property and steal the bird back. I, personally, would march over to his house, ring the doorbell, and when he opens it--WHAM! right across his face with my hand!

I hate sickos who fight animals. I despise them! They are they very things that I do not consider humans, but filthy, murderous, creatures! You are human if you have a heart that cares for an animal...

6. TexasLady

TexasLady Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 27, 2012
    I agree with all of you about fighting. He said his fighting days were done, long in the past, and I believed him. He also said this was not a fighting rooster so he just wanted him for a pet. He is not a fighting rooster. Why should he be cut like one?

The bird had a beautiful comb, large, nicely shaped, very bright red, healthy looking. I live in CA, and there is no reason to cut off him comb--NONE AT ALL!

I can see cutting off the bird's comb if he has frostbite. That makes sense to me. But needless mutilation of a bird for no good reason? No! I'm so angry about it I can't stand it. But I wanted to see if others would be angry too before I went off on him or took the bird.

Some say that it doesn't hurt them. Well, I say, 'Then let me carve off a pound of flesh on you, and when you are covered with blood, tell me it doesn't hurt!" I personally think that's bull-O-nee! If it bleeds, it probably hurts. Beside, the comb is about the thickness of a toe. Would it hurt if I cut off a person's toe just for looks?

And until I can ask the bird if dubbing hurts, I don't think it should be done. I'm fully aware that some birds must be dubbed for showing, and I wouldn't show them. In fact, I got into showing dogs, and I refused to show dogs that needed cutting of body parts. I think it is just cruel.

I frankly think that a comb keeps them from being too aggressive i.e. they get their comb bloody, and then don't want to fight any more. And to me, that's a good thing.

I've very, very unhappy about this. I can't express how upset I am.

I asked my husband to go talk to him. The guy doesn't listen to me too good. But if he talks to him, and the guy doesn't get rid of the bird, I am going to take it back. I gave it free. And although I feel strongly that a gift is given and shouldn't be taken back, when it is a living being and being cut on for unnecessary purposes, I also feel strongly that a person needs to respect the life and comfort of the creature. And IMO no cutting should ever be done on a live animal without good reason (i.e. health issues that must be done). I do not agree that bird shows should allow cut birds to be shown (and I never did agree that dogs that had ears or tails cut should be shown). Why? Does it improve their appearance? No!

I'm so hot at this point, I only slept 2 hours last night. I have to calm down enough that I can do something reasonable. I'm madder than a hornet right now. I want to just go crazy on him, slap him, scream at him, and break his things, throwing them all over the ground to show him how upset I am. Of course, I won't. But I wish I could. I'm just way too angry to deal with it right now, and that's why I asked my husband to talk to him.

I will not have a dubbed bird on my property. Nope, the bird has to go. I am not going to look at this bird all the time knowing what happened to him and for no reason. I won't do it. I'm so upset! The thing about it that makes me even more upset is that the bird, now dubbed, won't have a chance. I should probably just kill him and get it over with for the poor bird. I hate this whole thing. I don't even like to kill birds anyway, so this is just over the top for me.

I still can't sleep I'm so mad--2 hours of sleep. Still can't sleep--I'm not even feeling tired I'm so angry. I hope I don't have to go to the hospital over this. I have so much stress at work presently that two other folks at my job have had to go to the hospital for several days from stress. This type of crap just adds to a person's stress.

I'm very, very unhappy!

7. theoldchick

theoldchick The Chicken Whisperer

May 11, 2010
    Now that you know your neighbor is a liar don't give him anything else. While there is nothing wrong with a dubbed rooster, I find the act rather repulsive. However, I've owned several dubbed (retired game stock) roosters who lived out their lives in a well deserved retirement. My favorite was Yul Brenner, a solid black retiree, who thought he was the sexiest rooster alive with his bald head. His lack of comb and wattles did not alter his lifestyle whatsoever. While he was a virile fellow, I never hatched any offspring from any of my retirees as I did not want to condone the fighting of cocks in any way or form.

Despite owning several dubbed birds, nobody assumed I fought them, as my reputation of being an animal lover was premier gossip on the mountain. If it was unwanted, it ended up on my doorstep.

Not the bird's fault he was dubbed. Bring him home and give him what he deserves.

1 person likes this.
  8. Chickenfan4life

Chickenfan4life Overrun With Chickens

Aug 28, 2012
    Planet No
    X100!

9. Dowie

Dowie Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 29, 2011
    Try not to get too upset, you can rectify it perhaps by getting the bird back, and finding a way that feels right for you to put up your boundaries against this man. Talk it over with your husband - what will make you feel better? What is a fair way (because it seems to me you are upset because you still want to be fair to this man, even though he has betrayed you) to resolve the situation? One thing could simply be to report him for dubbing the bird. If it's illegal, then he will be charged accordingly. That way you have acted within the law, and not abused your own power as a landlord. Good luck!

10. bncranch

bncranch Out Of The Brooder

Sep 22, 2013
    Naples, FL
    Wait til he leaves his house, then go ovet and take ur roo back, then take him to a santuary to live out his days. When the neighbor asks wheres his rooster, simply say.." I have no idea"... end of story!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by