Dubbing Old English combs

D Bar J Acres

In the Brooder
12 Years
Apr 22, 2007
Hi, no hate messages here, just want some opinions! I just got my new order of chicks from Privett on Friday and have 8 Old English bantams. I've now realized that OE have single combs and I'm kinda concerned about frostbite - which is why all my other breeds have small combs. From looking at the pictures it didn't dawn on me it was common practice to dub the combs on these little guys.

When does someone do this? Is it something that's done at the hatchery? Or as the comb starts to grow?

I'm familiar with taking dewclaws off of puppies and have done lots of those in the past, but no clue on this.

I appreciate any advice, good and bad. Thanks, Jenny

I only know that the hatchery can't do it since the combs are really tiny or nonexistent. They use big scissors, called dubbing shears, and actually just cut the comb along the contour of the head, after a period of giving the birds Vitamin K supplement to help control bleeding, if I remember that right. I would think you'd have to do it as the comb gets to a "teenage" size, at maybe three months old, but not sure about that. I've seen those at shows, not my cup of tea, but that's what I know about it.

Back
Top Bottom