Dubbing Old English

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by [email protected] Raiser, Sep 10, 2008.

1. tileman@prodigBird Raiser

[email protected] Raiser Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 10, 2008
    Posted: Tue Sep 09, 2008 2:46 pm Post subject: Dubbing Old English

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I am just starting out and all of my old enlgish breeder adults are dubbed and were dubbed when i got them. I now you need to have the moderns and old english dubbed if you want to show them. I do show and i hatched alot of young this year and did not know how old they need to be before you dub them and if anyone had any hints. I tried dubbing one of my young from late last year and the comb came out great but i left to much on for the wattles because i though i cut it to short and was worried about it cutting through to his throut. I did not do his earlobe. Also i have a show on Sept.28 and did not know if he would be healed and ready by then or if i should show him not dubbed.

Thanks and any info you could give me would be helpful.

2. CUDA

CUDA Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 4, 2008
    Michigan
    I am no expert, but I don't believe you have to dub stags, only mature birds for shows. I dub all my fowl to keep away the frostbite blues where I live. It will not be healed all the way by that date if you do it now. You can see step by step instructions on how to dub on my site HERE . Good luck!

3. denver asilz

denver asilz Out Of The Brooder

Dec 31, 2013
    I dubb mine at six months using surgical sissors and they all heal within 15 days ear loves must be cut to show here on Colorado stags cocks all the same

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by