Dubbing

Status
Not open for further replies.

Zahboo

Simply Stated
10 Years
Feb 3, 2009
Hope Mills, NC
I have an OEGB Silver Duckwing and was told I need to dub the comb when it comes in. It is only 3 weeks old. What is dubbing and why do it?

Dubbing is cutting off the comb. If you are going to show it needs to be done by the time the cockerel becomes a cock at 1 year old. I don't believe it is common to dub baby chicks--at least not by the gamebird breeders exhibitors I know. I'm not sure of the exact age, but I'm pretty sure they usually wait until the bird is much closer to a year old than to chick-hood.

If you aren't going to show there is likely no reason to dub.

Dubbing is removing the comb, wattles, and ear lobes. I usually wait untill they are grown, before I dub. If showing, you are susposed to dub them by the time they are 1 year old, and before November 1st of the year they are hatched. I dub all of mine regardless of wether I show them or not. I personally think they look better dubbed. But if you arent going to show, then it is really up to you.
smile.png

Here is a pic of my Blue Red OEGB that has been dubbed.
18999_131.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
I believe that the way the comb is dubbed differs between breeds. We had a demonstration at a poultry club meeting and saw two different types of comb dubbings. I forgot about the wattles and lobes.

Hmmmm, ok then Ill rephrase that, OEGBs and American Game Birds, is all I know anything about.
smile.png
If you think of it let me know. Now you have me wondering.
big_smile.png

I was wondering why sometimes there is a regrowth of tissue on some and others are very smooth? I had a old guy (who I adore) do one of my roosters. It was very interesting, to say the least. I will have my own to do soon. He did a great job.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom