Dubbings - recipes?

Discussion in 'Egg, Chicken, & Other Favorite Recipes' started by Poultriary, Feb 22, 2013.

1. Poultriary

Poultriary Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 1, 2010
    So, I'm breeding American Game Bantams for show, so I need to dub the males.

So, why waste it (reminds me of a joke about a pig with a peg leg, stop me if you've heard this one . . . )

Anyhow, I have heard there are a couple of Spanish recipe - supposedly consumed to to improve one's virility (righhhhht), but I was unsuccessful in finding any via a couple of well known search engines.

So, anyone have a recipes for combs, or is this too gross?

2. BettyR

BettyR Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 1, 2008
    Texas Gulf Coast
    I'm sorry but I'm afraid that's a little too exotic for my taste, I've seen stuff like that on Chopped.

I'd Google for a recipe and see what I came up with.

3. missnu01

missnu01 Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 16, 2012
    Seems too chewy and strange...Perhaps deep fried...? Still sounds gross...and anything usually tastes good wrapped in breading and then fried...but I'm not sure.

4. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted Premium Member

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    Again,

Thank you Lord I've never been so hungry I've had to eat chicken combs. Or any animal's testicles.

Amen.

5. redsoxs

redsoxs Chicken Obsessed

Jul 17, 2011
    North Central Kansas
    [​IMG] I'm with donrae!!

6. Poultriary

Sep 1, 2010
    Now, now Donrae, I understand that Rocky Mountain Oysters are not eaten as a hunger food but, rather, are considered a delicacy.

I have no how chewy comb would be since I've never tried it, but i'd guess it isn't.

The myth that the old cockers had was that you were supposed to feed it back to the cockerel it came from so they'd be more "game".

7. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted Premium Member

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    Guess I'm not that "delicate", either. Maybe cause I've never been that hungry [​IMG]

8. my sunwolf

my sunwolf Chillin' With My Peeps

See, I would never eat one, but I do know a recipe. It's a little complex, it's in my very old Joy of Cooking. I'm going to type it out, not quite word for word...

Cockscombs

These have been used since the time of Apicius as a garnish.

• Blanch cockscombs.
    • Peel off the outer skin.
    • Steam, covered, on a mirepoix (mixed vegetables of your choice) until tender, about 45-50 minutes.
    • Preheat deep fryer to 375˚F.
    • Drain well, cut an incision, and stuff with Chicken farce (basically, stuffing).
    • Cover with Allemande Sauce (white cream sauce).
    • Dip in crumbs and deep-fat fry till crumbs color.

So basically, blanched, peeled, steamed, stuffed, slathered, breaded, and deep fried. What wouldn't be tasty after that treatment?

I've heard you can also throw them in soups for a little, er... flavor.

Last edited: Mar 6, 2013
  9. Poultriary

Sep 1, 2010
    OK, well that pretty much tells the story. I agree that if you have to go to those lengths, it's not a good sign.

It was just one of my random curiosities.

Funny that it's in such a time honored tome of cook book. But, given the effort involved in making something edible out of them, I think I'll just opt to do what my buddy does and use them as cat snacks.

10. Poultriary

Sep 1, 2010
    And, I have to assume that they are actually using the comb of a butchered Mediterranean if there's enough comb to actually stuff.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by