Dubbya The Turkey is MEAN!!!!

Discussion in 'Turkeys' started by Calebs Acre, Apr 18, 2009.

1. Calebs Acre

Calebs Acre Chillin' With My Peeps

May 17, 2008
    Long Island
    Sometimes I am soooooooo stupid! I went to my feed store today and was totally swept up in the beauty of a pair of adult turkeys that I HAD to have them. They are bronzes and I have NO EXPERIENCE WITH TURKEYS...NONE! So, Dubya and his wife, Laura were put in my dog crate in the back of my truck and as I am driving away, the guy at the feed store "mentioned" that I should be careful of Dubbya because he was "protective" of Laura.

THIS TURKEY IS MEAN!!! He pecks if you get anywhere near either of them!! I was trying to give them water and Laura really wanted it, but Dubbya was pecking at me to keep me from getting anywhere near the opening.

The guy at the feed store told me that he would calm down once he "got used to me." I am not used to this type of reception. I might be eating him really soon (If he doesn't eat me first!).

Do I stand any chance of making any headway with a mean turkey? Any tips or tricks?

I love my runners and my geese. I should have left turkeys alone! By the way, Laura is very, very sweet.

2. bkvail

bkvail Chillin' With My Peeps

I would wear gloves when trying to feed them so you don't get injured - maybe have an early turkey dinner if he doesn't wise up! LOL [​IMG] From what I've heard, it's not common for turkeys to be mean - do you have a good size enclosure to put them in?

3. Calebs Acre

May 17, 2008
    Long Island
    Yeah, we wore gloves, but Dub acually bit right through my husband's glove and that really ticked off the husband. Right this moment, they are in a smaller pen until they pass "quarantine"...then they will go into a nice sized pen....if not eaten before then.

4. Harp Turkey Ranch

Harp Turkey Ranch Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 18, 2008
    McCleary, WA
    Yeah sounds like you got a mean one on your hands. He'll probably calm down after mating season ?? But until then you will need to show him you are the boss not him. Never turn your back on him and never back down from him. Carry a long stick that you can get him with before he can get you. As soon as he starts at you give him a whap and he should back down if not repeat. He'll then understand that you are the boss. If you don't feel like trying to work with him and may not ever get better then eat him.

That is why we will not breed anything that shows that aggresion as we don't want to pass those genes on.

5. Emzyyy

Emzyyy Runs with Deer

Jul 14, 2008
    Derby Kansas
    I wouldn't eat him I would think the hen would be attached to him it might change her behavior towards you.

6. Calebs Acre

May 17, 2008
    Long Island
    Harp Turkey Ranch:
    THANK YOU for the advice. I do have a big stick and I will try what you are saying. It's the one I use for my husband and he backs RIGHT down and does EXACTLY what I say. NO ONE wants a 6 foot tall, 300 pound woman with a big stick upset at them. Maybe Dubbya will catch on just like Bob!!!!

We were hoping to get turkey eggs, but if aggression is genetically transmitted, like in companion animals, I guess I'll need a different male. What breed do you recommend? I saw calico turkeys and fell in love with them. But, that was looks only. Guess I'd better start stuffing him full of food for November. LOL.

Nancy

7. New adventure

New adventure Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 27, 2009
    Pueblo, Colorado
    First thing I'd do is change his name. I'd be mean too if I was stuck with that!!

8. Calebs Acre

May 17, 2008
    Long Island
    [​IMG] Yeah, I can understand! Sometimes when I look him in the eye, I swear he looks familiar to me. LOL!

I should have known why he was up for sale. Guess his term ran out at his prior owner's house!!!

9. Calebs Acre

May 17, 2008
    Long Island
    Dubbya update: I went out to feed and water them this morning and of course, Dubbya was all inflated and standing between Laura and me. So, I threw in some turkey feed and they both were gratefully eating. His snood actually got a bit smaller and he wasn't as aggressive.

I filled a new waterer because I would have had to reach in for the one he was using and brought a stick, but he was perfectly content to allow me to put the waterer in the pen without attempting to go after me.

So, I didn't have to use my stick. Yet. I step in the right direction for all. No turkey sandwiches tonight!

10. farmerlor

farmerlor Chillin' With My Peeps

And don't forget that treats are the way to a turkey's heart. Give them some boiled eggs, yogurt, oatmeal, and especially some greens. Hey, some of that aggression could be some deficiency. I get cranky when I haven't had enough of something or other.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by