Dubia Roaches

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by itsy, Nov 9, 2011.

1. itsy

itsy Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 14, 2011
    New England
    Look what I got in the mail today! [​IMG] [​IMG]

[​IMG]

My first dubia starter colony. There are 10 adult females, 5 adult males and 300 nymphs. In a couple months - I'll be feeding off babies like crazy! Not only are they great for the chickens - but all of my reptiles. I don't think I'll be able to get the courage up to handle one, though...gloves will come in handy.

2. Chic-n-farmer

Chic-n-farmer Showers of Blessings

ew. ew. ew. ew.

3. yankeedoodle300

yankeedoodle300 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 22, 2011
    Chicken Heaven
    Human Answer: Yuck [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

Reptile Answer: YUM!

Dino/Chicken Answer: Who Cares? it Fits in My mouth, I Eat it! * Even my Owners Fingers*

4. ll

ll Chillin' With My Peeps

I had a dubia colony once.
    Don't use gloves - I highly recommend those extra long reptile feeding tongs that look like super tweezers.

You'll have fun with those, I would start feeding from the 300 babies - don't worry, you won't run out.
    Keep them warm & dry, always remove moldy food, and they love to climb on those free drink trays that hold 4 cups from McDonald's etc.

5. aubreynoramarie

aubreynoramarie designated lawn flamingo

May 27, 2010
    Reno, Nevada
    [​IMG]

why, oh why, did i open this thread!?

6. itsy

itsy Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 14, 2011
    New England
    Quote:I love those feeding tongs. I have several different types of worms on hand right now that I simply pick up with my fingers. The downside to using those tongs with the babies is that you may push too hard and smush them a bit. When I feed off to my reptiles, I need them alive and moving when they're in the enclosure in case the herp doesn't want to eat right away.

I was talking to a few dubia breeders and they were saying that the 300 babies are just to make the adults feel comfortable enough to breed, not really to make them grow into adults. As soon as I see a bunch more little ones crawling around, my chickens will get an "extra special" dinner. [​IMG]

Dubia are also supposed to be kept in a humid environment - not dry. You're actually supposed to lightly mist inside the enclosure. They're tropical roaches - not desert.

1 person likes this.
  7. galanie

galanie Treat Dispenser No More

Aug 20, 2010
    Colmesneil,TX
    Quote:[​IMG]

8. Greenskeeper

Greenskeeper Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 14, 2010
    Bethel, NC
    I love my Dubia roaches!!!!! I've had mine for a bit and have lots to feed daily! I do have names for them. Each is named Gary! Just to be funny. Last est. count were 450 adult females and 45 adult males. Then I have the smalls divided by hatch period. Ill post pics in a bit!

9. ll

ll Chillin' With My Peeps

-nods- careful using tongs with the little babies, you'll get the hang of it and squished still taste good when dangled by the nose. [​IMG]

Dubia are also supposed to be kept in a humid environment - not dry. You're actually supposed to lightly mist inside the enclosure. They're tropical roaches - not desert.

I agree, I misted mine often - but while they like to be misted and like humidity, it is important to keep a balance of dryness in their bedding because of mold. Mold will kill a colony and is very dangerous. Mist the sides of your enclosure, mist their climbing/hiding places -- I do recommend not misting more than that, definitely not the bottom. Their droppings can be a tiny disaster when wet. Try to avoid misting their bodies too, mold can actually form on their bodies. [​IMG]

10. kellyjo8437

kellyjo8437 Out Of The Brooder

Sep 19, 2011
    Dunnellon
    In a state (Florida) where the bugs can get to be as big as some of my little mini chickens I don't understand why it is illegal for me to buy or own dubia roaches. I wanted so bad to get some for my Beardie and the Chooks. Crickets are ok but they STINK so I buy them in small numbers and therefore spend way more $$$$ on them then I would if I could tolerate the smell better. Good luck with them!!! You could use an insect tube like what they have in cricket keepers, they sell them seperately sometimes. The bugs climb in the tube then you just tap it and they fall out into the cage :) They come in handy for people who are squeamish around bugs.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by