d'uccle bantams

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by Sylverfly, Nov 9, 2009.

1. Sylverfly

Sylverfly Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 29, 2009
    Northeastern Michigan
    I think my d'uccle bantams may be mixed with something I just saw some other d’uccle and mine were so much smaller. Mine are like robin sized maybe a little smaller even what could they be mixed with that would make them smaller.

2. Camelot Farms

Camelot Farms Chickenista

Can you post some pics. It would be easier to tell if they are mixed and what with.

[​IMG]

3. wegotchickens

wegotchickens DownSouth D'Uccles & Silkies

Jul 5, 2007
    Sevier County, TN
    When they are young they are small. It takes d'Uccles longer to mature.
    But do post pics.

4. chickenwhisperer123

chickenwhisperer123 Whispers Loudly

Mar 7, 2009
    Lincoln, Nebraska
    Quote:Good Point. How old are they?

5. Sylverfly

Apr 29, 2009
    Northeastern Michigan
    They are 8-9 months old
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

6. NateinFL

NateinFL Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 7, 2009
    Wesley Chapel FL
    The roo looks mixed, he doesnt seem to have the right posture for a d'uccle. The hen has alot of white in her face for only being 8-9 months old so I would say they are probably not a great line to breed with if you plan on starting a breeding line. Try getting a bunch from a hatchery and then you can be picky about which ones to keep, which ones to let go.

7. Sylverfly

Apr 29, 2009
    Northeastern Michigan
    Ok, thanks. I also noticed they have blue legs is that normal for the breed or could that be a sign of a mix.

8. wegotchickens

Jul 5, 2007
    Sevier County, TN
    Yup, neither bird is show quality, if they are full d'Uccle. The hen has the right features but too much white, like Nathan said (no Nathan, mine aren't laying yet).

The roo has a LOT of flaws and probably is crossed with something. I can't tell for sure but it doesn't look like he has much of a beard. The long white feathers on his neck and shoulders are a major flaw. If any are completely white then he'd be disqualified in a show. But the white should be a small crescent at the tips of the feathers for both sexes of Mille Fleur d'Uccle. And they get more white after their first molt, so early heavy white is not a good thing.

But 8-10 months is when the roo gets heavier through the chest. They really fill out quickly once they hit that point in maturity.

Last edited: Nov 9, 2009
  9. wegotchickens

Jul 5, 2007
    Sevier County, TN
    Quote:I can only see the toe of the pullet, but it looks right to me...

10. Sylverfly

Apr 29, 2009
    Northeastern Michigan
    What do you think they could be crossed with to make them so small, the roo is smaller than the hens too.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by