D'Uccle chicks just came -- is this spraddle, or is it normal? PICS

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by lceh, Apr 8, 2009.

1. lceh

lceh Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 15, 2008
    Central Virginia
    My first chick shipment just arrived a couple of hours ago, and I've been busy getting everyone settled and seeing if anyone needs extra attention. I ended up with several D'Uccle bantams at the last minute -- boy, are they tiny! The tiniest of them has really widely spread legs, to the point that it keeps getting knocked on its bottom by the other chicks. It can walk, but only awkwardly. Is this a minor case of spraddle leg, or is it just new chick awkwardness?

[​IMG]

I've looked at the info. on spraddle on BYC, but those photos show chicks with legs completely to the side, which this little one doesn't have.....

Here's another one with wide legs (not as bad as the one above):

[​IMG]

Should I do something for these little ones, or do they just need to grow into themselves? I'm most concerned about the one in the top photo, he keeps getting knocked on his bum and has trouble getting around the brooder because of it.

Last edited: Apr 8, 2009
  2. Chicken Woman

Chicken Woman Incredible Egg

Oct 16, 2008
    Montana
    When mine had spraddle it couldn't get up and walk without falling. They look ok to me.

3. lceh

Oct 15, 2008
    Central Virginia
    For now I've isolated both of them in the "invalid" brooder, if only to let them have a night of peace without getting bumped around by the bigger chicks. They are both pretty weak, I wonder if they're going to make it.....

4. Enchanted Sunrise Farms

Enchanted Sunrise Farms Overrun With Chickens

Apr 26, 2007
    Fair Oaks, California
    It doesn't look spraddled to me, just maybe weak. Could have gotten trampled a bit in shipment. Good idea to isolate. Did you put anything in the water? You could use the chick electrolyte stuff, i think it's called Quick Chick, or Avia Charge 2000. A drop of Polyvisol baby vitamins (without iron) a couple times a day would help. Hard boiled egg or some scrambled eggs mashed up would be good.

5. Mandalina

Mandalina Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 1, 2009
    Savannah,MO
    what a cutie! looks like he may just be expieriencing a bit of wobbly legs at the moment.

6. lceh

Oct 15, 2008
    Central Virginia
    I did get them to drink electrolyte/vitamin water, but I lost one this morning and the other one's not looking good. I think they may've gotten smooshed in shipment, they were in the same box as a few standards and several larger bantams. They were a last-minute replacement due to bad hatches, and if I'd had any idea how small they would be I never would've agreed to them. I'm kicking myself now, but these are my first chicks and I didn't know any better....

7. chickorama

chickorama Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 8, 2008
    Massachusetts
    [​IMG] CUTIE! looks like normal baby legs.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by