D'Uccle? Cochin? What's This Blue Bantam?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by speckledhen, May 29, 2008.

1. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

This baby is the softest powder blue color, just beautiful, the only bantam I've ever had. Not sure of the breed and I know its way too early to guess the sex. Anyone know the breed? I'm leaning toward Cochin. It came from Ideal Poultry via the feedstore. Sorry about the lighting. It's overcast today and the house is dark; my camera is terrible in low light situations.
    [​IMG]

2. Cuban Longtails

Cuban Longtails Flock Mistress

Sep 20, 2007
    Northeast Texas
    I says cochin. [​IMG]

3. flip9109

flip9109 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 14, 2008
    st paul mn
    i agree. cute little critter:p

4. beckt

beckt Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 11, 2007
    Indiana
    Cyn, I would say Cochin also. It does not look anything like my Porcelin D'uccle chickes did. Very cute by the way. I just love Cochins large or small. The one I have is so sweet.

5. ticks

ticks Pheasant Obsessed

Apr 1, 2008
    The Sticks, Vermont
    C-C-C-Cochin!

6. speckledhen

Last year, the feedstore had the most adorable Porcelain D'uccle cockerel for sale out front that was getting picked on. He kept sticking his head through the cage bars and trying to get my DH's attention-it was the cutest thing. We managed to remedy the situation for him. Ever since, I've loved that porcelain color! I know Ideal has some self blue and blue D'Uccles and Cochins, but I did think this resembled a Cochin more than the D'uccle. It was quite the mixed bag in that brooder. They had Sebrights, which I did recognize, and some others I had no clue at all, but this beautiful soft blue color caught my eye.

7. tiki244

tiki244 Flock Mistress

Jan 1, 2008
    WestCentralWisconsin
    its a cochin and they make lovely pets [​IMG]

8. speckledhen

Good! Now, the next step will be to determine sex, but for now, Panda has a friend and she is very happy with her new buddy. Thanks, everybody, for confirming the breed.

9. Frogtown

Frogtown Back 40 Farm

Aug 16, 2007
    South Carolina
    Nice foot feathering too.

10. tiki244

tiki244 Flock Mistress

Jan 1, 2008
    WestCentralWisconsin
    who is Panda? I dont know that one. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by