d'Uccle Experts- can you breed Golden Neck females to Mille Fleur roo?

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by verycherry, Feb 26, 2009.

1. verycherry

verycherry Chillin' With My Peeps

May 29, 2008
    SC Arkansas
    Just wondering, since I know where I can get two GN females, but I don't have a Golden Neck male. I do have a Mille Fleur male.

I think Golden Neck is basicly Mille Fleur with dominant white to take out the black, correct? ...or no? Would you cross them?

2. Vcomb

Vcomb Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 19, 2008
    South Dakota
    My Coop
    yep you can cross them. will probly result in goldneck offspring with some black flecking in the whtie areas, but not much.

3. verycherry

May 29, 2008
    SC Arkansas
    Fantastic! I'm going to get them, thank you!

4. Sonoran Silkies

Sonoran Silkies Flock Mistress

Jan 4, 2009
    Tempe, Arizona
    I thought golden neck was when you added splash?

5. verycherry

May 29, 2008
    SC Arkansas
    I don't know about that....never heard that, but I'm VERY new to d'Uccles.

I did find some information yesterday afternoon that stated that dominant white cause the black spots of a Mille Fleur to change to white, which is what makes a Golden Neck a Golden Neck, but that after a while the golden background color can also start to fade, so crossing to a Mille Fleur can brighten the color back up.

These new little Golden Necks are just dumplings! Besides these two new ones, I have a pair of Blue Mille Fleur, one 5 month old regular Mille Fleur cockerel, and a new Mille pullet chick.

A breeder of bantams told me yesterday that the Porcelain color is basicly a dilute Mille Fleur. I thought that was a Blue Mille Fleur.....? But like I said, I'm new to d'Uccles in general. I need to look all this stuff up.

6. Sonoran Silkies

Sonoran Silkies Flock Mistress

Jan 4, 2009
    Tempe, Arizona
    Blue dilutes only the black of a mille fleur into a blue mille fleur. Lavender (instead) dilutes both the black into lavender and the buff into straw for porcelain.

7. verycherry

May 29, 2008
    SC Arkansas
    Thank you for explaining that.

I'd like to eventually get some of the Porcelain too. Another for my wish list.......along with those gray Silkies pullets I need for my cockerel! [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by