d'Uccle pair??

MomMommyMamma

Songster
9 Years
Jun 13, 2010
West Virginia
I really think these are a male and a female, but they sure do go at each other like little cockerels. I'd like to sell or re-home them but it would be good to have some other opinions on their sex before I do.
smile.png

60439_blue_duccles.jpg

What is the age? I would be inclined to think the one in the front is a girl, since it has no waddles in comparison. Still, that is a big comb.

ANyone else?

It depends on their age. The one in the rear is just a Booted Bantam, as it has no muffs or beard. The one in front looks pullet-ish, but again, that depends on age.

Quote:
Oh my gosh! Did not even notice the lack of muffs!
hide.gif
Picked these up at the feed store in the spring. They must be approx. 16 wks. They're both the same age.

Last edited:
At 16 weeks, I'd say you have a pair. d'Uccle females can get some pretty big combs.

Quote:
Are the odds of getting chicks from them w/ fuffs & beards any good if they are a pair? I know these two are not ideal for breeding - just curious. Appreciate the info.
smile.png

Quote:
Are the odds of getting chicks from them w/ fuffs & beards any good if they are a pair? I know these two are not ideal for breeding - just curious. Appreciate the info.
smile.png

I'm not sure in d'Uccles. I know in my Polish, with a non-bearded roo and a bearded hen, I get 90% bearded chicks.

They both look like d'Uccle - probably porcelain, but maybe blue (d'Uccle usually don't have their full color until their first and second molt) - the rear one is definitely a roo, the forwarded one may be a bearded roo or a hen - from what I understand (and found out the hard way for myself, mistaking a bearded d'Uccle for a hen - it took until he started crowing for me to accept it was a roo which was a solid month after my other two roos started crowing), if you see any signs of a red wattle, its is probably a bearded roo versus a hen ... another good way to tell is how feisty it is - if its a hen, it will tend to just run away from the roo when the roo picks on it, if its a roo it will turn around and peck back until their dominance is worked out ...

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom