d'Uccle pair??

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by MomMommyMamma, Aug 4, 2011.

1. MomMommyMamma

MomMommyMamma Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 13, 2010
    West Virginia
    I really think these are a male and a female, but they sure do go at each other like little cockerels. I'd like to sell or re-home them but it would be good to have some other opinions on their sex before I do. [​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. LarryPQ

LarryPQ Easter Hatch!!

Jul 17, 2009
    What is the age? I would be inclined to think the one in the front is a girl, since it has no waddles in comparison. Still, that is a big comb.

ANyone else?

3. acid_chipmunk

acid_chipmunk Polish Silkies d'Uccles O my!

Mar 29, 2010
    It depends on their age. The one in the rear is just a Booted Bantam, as it has no muffs or beard. The one in front looks pullet-ish, but again, that depends on age.

4. acid_chipmunk

Mar 29, 2010
    Double post...

Last edited: Aug 4, 2011
  5. MomMommyMamma

Jun 13, 2010
    West Virginia
    Quote:Oh my gosh! Did not even notice the lack of muffs! [​IMG] Picked these up at the feed store in the spring. They must be approx. 16 wks. They're both the same age.

6. acid_chipmunk

Mar 29, 2010
    At 16 weeks, I'd say you have a pair. d'Uccle females can get some pretty big combs.

7. MomMommyMamma

Jun 13, 2010
    West Virginia
    Quote:Are the odds of getting chicks from them w/ fuffs & beards any good if they are a pair? I know these two are not ideal for breeding - just curious. Appreciate the info. [​IMG]

8. acid_chipmunk

Mar 29, 2010
    Quote:Are the odds of getting chicks from them w/ fuffs & beards any good if they are a pair? I know these two are not ideal for breeding - just curious. Appreciate the info. [​IMG]

I'm not sure in d'Uccles. I know in my Polish, with a non-bearded roo and a bearded hen, I get 90% bearded chicks.

9. alisonmtv

alisonmtv Out Of The Brooder

Aug 4, 2011
    They both look like d'Uccle - probably porcelain, but maybe blue (d'Uccle usually don't have their full color until their first and second molt) - the rear one is definitely a roo, the forwarded one may be a bearded roo or a hen - from what I understand (and found out the hard way for myself, mistaking a bearded d'Uccle for a hen - it took until he started crowing for me to accept it was a roo which was a solid month after my other two roos started crowing), if you see any signs of a red wattle, its is probably a bearded roo versus a hen ... another good way to tell is how feisty it is - if its a hen, it will tend to just run away from the roo when the roo picks on it, if its a roo it will turn around and peck back until their dominance is worked out ...

10. Nicole01

Nicole01 Overrun With Chickens

Mar 28, 2011
    MN
    It looks like a pair to me![​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by