d'uccle pronounciation

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by Cha Cha Chicken, Jan 16, 2011.

1. Cha Cha Chicken

Cha Cha Chicken Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 5, 2010
    I was wondering- I called someone's chicken a Belgian bearded "doo slay" they told me it was doo-CLAY... were they right? [​IMG]
    thanks in advance!

2. Illia

Illia Crazy for Colors

Oct 19, 2009
    Forks, WA
    Doo-CLAY indeed. [​IMG]

3. Pyncheon guy

Pyncheon guy Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 17, 2010
    NW Michigan
    There is no accent over the E....it is pronounced "dookle",,,,,like dew-cull.... It is not dee-uncle...there is no N and not dew-clay.... I raised the breed for over 25 years and remember the very same conversation 40 years ago....same issue..... A Belgian friend told me how he pronounced it... He lived in Gent, Belgium and was one of my old Racing pigeon friends. I trust his word since he lives there....

4. thechickonthehill

thechickonthehill Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 13, 2009
    Sadieville, KY
    Quote:I actually checked the pronunciation online through Webster's. They didn't have the word "d'Uccle" but they did have Uccle (as in the town/city of). The town name was pronounced "ooh-cluh" so I assumed that would make the chicken breed name pronounced "doo-cluh".

5. Pyncheon guy

Oct 17, 2010
    NW Michigan
    That sounds correct.... Thanks for the info

6. thechickonthehill

thechickonthehill Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 13, 2009
    Sadieville, KY
    Quote:Face it, however we say it (unless you happen to be fluent in more than one language) we are probably still butchering it! [​IMG]

7. Pyncheon guy

Oct 17, 2010
    NW Michigan
    LOL...[​IMG] I do speak other languages.....and have lived in Europe....but I never had to say the word d'Uccle over there....I pronounced it "dookle" here for the English speakers.... My French teachers/professors would give me an "F" for pronouncing it this way.... My second language is Portuguese....

8. Yellow House Farm

Yellow House Farm Overrun With Chickens

Jun 22, 2009
    Barrington, NH
    In French, d'Uccle would be doo-cluh. One needs an accent to say doo-clay. I guess dookle works but its an English pronunciation and not French.

9. Pyncheon guy

Oct 17, 2010
    NW Michigan
    correct...I was trying to help the English speaking people....

10. wegotchickens

wegotchickens DownSouth D'Uccles & Silkies

Jul 5, 2007
    Sevier County, TN
    Quote:Face it, however we say it (unless you happen to be fluent in more than one language) we are probably still butchering it! [​IMG]

Butchering it, indeed!

And dew-clay sounds so elegant [​IMG]

I cringe when I hear them called 'dunkles'

Last edited: Jan 16, 2011

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by