D'uccle question ;)

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by ScaredOfShadows, Aug 11, 2010.

1. ScaredOfShadows

ScaredOfShadows Chillin' With My Peeps

I figured I may as well ask out on the forum...

What is the proper foot feathering on a d'uccle? Just to the middle toe and on the outer leg and clean inner leg like a silkie usually is? Or are their legs supposed to be covered on both sides? I've seen them either or - and I have chicks that some have feahters all over their legs and toes, and others who are clean legged inside but heavy feathered into the middle toe. Its more curiosity, and I'd rather have it in plain english from you guys if possible. [​IMG]

2. TK Poultry

TK Poultry Chillin' With My Peeps

May 25, 2009
    Greencastle, Indiana
    From what I have gathered, I'm still very new to the breed, my understanding is that they should be feathered on their feet alot like silkies. I read some one say that some of the feathers on the middle toe should curl back or something

3. vetgirl00us

vetgirl00us Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 28, 2010
    Rome, GA
    The feathering should run down AT LEAST the front and lateral sides of the leg down to the toes and including feathering on the middle toe. The feathers should grow in a graceful outward (away from the medial foot) fashion to the sides. It is also important that they have the characteristic "Vulture hocks" which is the long feathers growing from the knee to the ankles in a caudal (toward the tail or rear end) direction. Lack of vulture hocks, middle toe feathering and wattles are disqualifications.

4. vetgirl00us

vetgirl00us Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 28, 2010
    Rome, GA
    Oh, and don't freak out if you find that the outermost toe is funny looking. Like without a toenail or shorter than what you think should be normal. It's supposed to be that way. I thought for the longest I was hatching deformed chicks lol.

5. ScaredOfShadows

ScaredOfShadows Chillin' With My Peeps

So the feathering on the inner leg is okay? - all my chicks have great feathers coming from the outer and middle toe - and they are already curling - I think its crazy how fast these guys are feathering in, they are only 9 days old. [​IMG] So as I've been watching these feet feethers get some crazy on already and I noticed the difference between 2 of the chicks and the other 3 survivors - I wanted to know if it was okay. [​IMG] I'll take pictures of their foot feathering in a few days when I think it'll be really good. This morning they ran through the muddy spots in the yard with their silkie mama and so are foot filthy [​IMG]

6. Doug the Chicken Man

Doug the Chicken Man Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 27, 2009
    Near Ottawa, Ontario
    Last edited: Aug 12, 2010

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by