D'Uccle question

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by jenifern, Oct 5, 2013.

1. jenifern

jenifern Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 15, 2013
    Canada
    Hi I am wondering if any of you have bred a bearded Belgian d'uccle (mille fleur) roo to a White D'uccle Hen? Any ideas of what will hatch out? Pics?

2. Sonoran Silkies

Sonoran Silkies Flock Mistress

Jan 4, 2009
    Tempe, Arizona
    Breeding white to non-white is always unpredictable. mottling is unlikely to be present as it is recessive. If a normal amount of mottling is present, then you know hte white has mottle in her genetic makeup.

3. jenifern

Mar 15, 2013
    Canada
    Thank you. I just wondered if I would end up with only whites or millies (either or)
    OR if I would end up with some sort of blending, buff or porcelain sort of look to them. I guess we shall see.

4. Sonoran Silkies

Sonoran Silkies Flock Mistress

Jan 4, 2009
    Tempe, Arizona
    White does not dilute, so it will not blend the colours. Other genes present in the white bird might, but without breeding records, you won't know whether these genes are present or not. Once you have offspring, you can learn something about the genes that that particular white is carrying based upon the results. If you get any solid whites, then the non-white is carrying a copy of recessive white. If you get any with blue, then the white is carrying blue. If you get any with good mottling, then the white is carrying mottle. Etc.

5. jenifern

Mar 15, 2013
    Canada
    Thank you so much for explaining that :)

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by