1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

D'Uccle Roo exscaping from run what do you think?

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by marilyn15, Jul 21, 2011.

1. marilyn15

marilyn15 Out Of The Brooder

May 26, 2010
    Shiloh, IL
    Hello all!
    WE have only had chickens for about a year and a half now but never have had this happen. Our D'Uccle Roo who is approximately 2-3 months old somehow ecscaped out of the run today. Luckily we caught him and put him up, but with it so hot I can not lock him in the coop. Here are approximate specifics on our set up....
    Our coop has three roosts and a "doggy door" that they can go in out all day. The run is fenced about 6 and a half feet high, it is partially covered on one end for shade the rest is open. I have no idea how this little guy flew out? The fencing is strong and sturdy, no holes or anything. We do have a window that has a sill, but it is not that high up to where I think he could fly from that far? Following is a picture of him Roadrunner is what we call him sitting on one of the outside roosts with our Polish Fro and our Seabright Pigeon. The roost is located under the shaded area so I know he could not fly out from there. My only thought would be could he sit on top of the waterer and fly out? How high or far could a chicken fly?

[​IMG]

two of our sweet girls in the background...

2. BeetleChick

BeetleChick Out Of The Brooder

May 19, 2011
    East of Raleigh, NC
    Our 12 can fly up 4 feet or higher, they are 14 weeks old.

3. gryeyes

gryeyes Covered in Pet Hair & Feathers

Bantam chickens can FLY.

My Silver Sebrights get to the top of a six foot chain link fence quite easily, and often fly into the trees. I have a couple of young Mille Fleurs who are testing their flying skills, too.

4. marilyn15

marilyn15 Out Of The Brooder

May 26, 2010
    Shiloh, IL
    Thank you both for your replies, do you think we should cover the whole run? But then I worry about it getting muddy.......they do free range often when we are out there, not all day because of predator problems.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by