d'uccles maybe?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by hencrazy, Jan 1, 2011.

1. hencrazy

hencrazy Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 5, 2009
    I have a raised 4' x 8' coop that is very well insulated with an 8' x 20' attached run. It has been sitting empty for nearly 2 years and it's driving me crazy! I used to use it to start chicks in and also to quarantine new birds. I think it's too small for large chickens, so I was thinking of getting some bantams. I'm looking for something that can survive MN winters, that lays fairly well, and that is friendly. The d'uccles seem to fit this description from what I've read here.

What do you guys think? How many do you think I can fit in that coop? I was thinking of getting them from Ideal since they have a variety of colors and I don't really care about how perfect they are considering I'm not planning to breed them.

Anyone have any pictures of them from Ideal?

2. wegotchickens

wegotchickens DownSouth D'Uccles & Silkies

Jul 5, 2007
    Sevier County, TN
    3-5 wouldn't over-tax that space. Maybe more when you see how they get along and how often it needs cleaning.

D'Uccles are a wonderful breed, very friendly although the roos can get snippy when the hormones kick in.

Look around your area. Once you fall in love you'll want gorgeous birds, and the temperment may be better, too.

3. hencrazy

Mar 5, 2009
    I forgot to ask how hardy the chicks are. I plan on having them shipped in April if possible so it won't be so cold. They will be indoors at first, but I'm a little concerned about shipping them.

4. wegotchickens

Jul 5, 2007
    Sevier County, TN
    Last edited: Jan 1, 2011
  5. hencrazy

Mar 5, 2009
    Thanks for the link but I've already read that entire thread! I haven't had much luck finding breeders in MN. I was even considering eggs, but from what I've read here they don't seem to have a very high hatch rate when shipped. I will be getting some JG eggs either March or April from Wynette (hopefully). Those are top priority in my incubator this year.

If you know anyone with porcelain, lavender, or gold necks I would be interested!

6. LyonFuzz

LyonFuzz Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 28, 2008
    South Lyon, Michigan
    I love my d'uccles, but here in Mi it gets pretty cold and one got some minor frostbite on her comb. I found that my bantam ameraucanas do very well and are outside at their own free will most of the day even in snow. Plus they lay a very pretty baby blue egg:) Just a small pea comb on them so no worries about frostbite.

7. hencrazy

Mar 5, 2009
    Did not see that second thread. I'll have to read that and see what I find. Thanks!

8. hencrazy

Mar 5, 2009
    wegotchickens - you should vacation in MN this spring and bring me some of your chickens
    as long as you're here [​IMG]

Your birds are beautiful!

9. wegotchickens

Jul 5, 2007
    Sevier County, TN
    Quote:Thanks! I wish I could. Have you ever visited the Smokies? [​IMG]

I actually would like to start shipping chicks next spring, but am waiting on the NPIP folks to respond to my application....

10. hencrazy

Mar 5, 2009
    If you do can I be your first customer?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by