D'Uccles...Self-Blue & Lavender the same thing? PICS added post #5

BWchicken

Songster
12 Years
Jun 4, 2009
Texas
When referring to D'Uccles, are Self-Blue and Lavender the same thing? I've seen some referred to as one or the other, sometimes both, but they look exactly the same to me.

Last edited:
Quote:
Yes, lavender & "self blue" are the same thing. There are actually pure solid BLUE D'uccles too though
wink.png

Depends on who you're talking to as to what term is used, but lavender and self blue are the same. *I* prefer to use "lavender", only because "self blue" is often confused with Andalusian blue ("BBS").

Lavender is a solid pale blue (hence, the term "self") which is inherited recessively. One dose of lavender = a "split" (where the bird carries the gene, but its not visible), two doses = a visually lavender bird.

Andalusian blue can range from a light slate grey to a very dark bluish charcoal grey, and often the head and hackles can be a shade or two darker than the rest of the body - smooth feathers normally have a laced effect as well. It is a dominant gene and carriers are not genetically possible. Its a "in your face" gene - if you don't see it, it isn't there. One dose = blue, two doses = "splash".

Quote:
Appears to be lavender but has yellow saddle feathers and looks like some coming in on hackles, so MAYBE a porcelain. Also since he's not "fully bearded", I believe he would be considered a "Booted Bantam" due to large wattles. Pretty boy indeed
smile.png
Anyone else want to chime in on this??

Last edited:
Thanks for your replies! I think the yellowish saddles and hackles are from sun bleaching, he stays out all day. He has no obvious mottling, his feathers are pretty much solid light gray/blue with subtle darker horizontal lines on the individual feathers.

Booted Bantam? I was sure he was a D'Uccle. I've seen pics of D'Uccles with wattles like his, especially the lavender ones. I guess I need to do some more research, but if anyone wants to enlighten me please do!

As far as color, I think he is a lavender but would love to hear more opinions. I can post more pics if that would help, I have pics of him as a chick and as a juvenile. I can take pics of an individual feather too if needed.

Last edited:
He is lavender, but is lacking somewhat in d'uccle type - but thats ok, because lavender is a work in progress in many breeds nowadays. I have a lavender rooster that looks much like your guy, minus the beard - but mine is supposed to be a bantam cochin.

Back
Top Bottom