D'Uccles vs D'Anvers...Differences in Personality?

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by speckledhen, Oct 20, 2008.

1. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

I love the porcelain D'Uccles, however, I'm not that fond of feather footed birds, generally. The D'Anvers seems similar, however, what are the real differences in the two, besides the obvious non-feathered legs of the D'Anvers?
    Nobody jump to conclusions-speckledhen is just doing research! Any minute, I just know that Jordan will jump in and throw my old emails back in my face, LOL! [​IMG]

2. TheOLDNewChick

TheOLDNewChick I'm an original

Jun 12, 2007
    Tioga, Louisiana
    I like my little D'Anver hen. Not familiar with the D'Uccles, but. She's got a great personality.

3. KKluckers

KKluckers Time Out

Sep 4, 2007
    I think the D'Anvers are just adorable. I know a gal up north from me that breeds D'Uccles and they are the sweetest things.

4. flyingmonkeypoop

flyingmonkeypoop Overrun With Chickens

Apr 30, 2007
    Deer Park Washington
    I like the d'anvers more, they are more active. Another plus is the rose comb, no frost bite. D'anvers come in alot of the colors that d'uccles come in like porcelain and mille fluer and such.

5. herechickchick

herechickchick Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 28, 2007
    Memphis TN
    Cynthia are you crazy!? I distinctly remember a few conversations with you saying NO BANTAMS. D'Anvers hands down. Cool personalities and no feathered feet so that is a plus, they are just so tiny.

6. speckledhen

Ok, now Adam is helping Jordan out, LOL. No ganging up on speckledhen, pweeeze. [​IMG] Well, I have little Shadow, so the floodgates are open! I was just looking at some on a web album and my goodness, the Blue Quail color is stunning!

And to answer your question, YES, I'm crazy!

Last edited: Oct 20, 2008
  7. tiki244

tiki244 Flock Mistress

Jan 1, 2008
    WestCentralWisconsin
    d'Anvers are smaller than d"Uccles. i think d'Uccles are sweeter.

8. speckledhen

So, do you think anyone would be interested in hatching eggs from the D'Anvers? They'd certainly be too small to really eat. How small are the eggs? I know some bantams lay larger eggs than you'd think, but I have a feeling this breed isn't like that.

9. Quail_Antwerp

Quail_Antwerp [IMG]emojione/assets/png/2665.png?v=2.2.7[/IMG]Mrs

Aug 16, 2008
    Ohio
    My d'Anvers eggs are smaller than a silkies eggs. Bout the size of robin eggs.

I have Quail Antwerp d'Anvers, and the rooster has a big personality! Both he and his mate Fran are extremely friendly! Very nosey, have to be right in the middle of things.

My d'Uccles seem to be more flighty, not so interested in being around people as much as my d'Anvers. My d'Anvers are easier to pick up and hold than my d'Uccles.

This is my hen, Fran.
    [​IMG]

This is her mate, Robert.
    [​IMG]

10. speckledhen

Thanks for the information! Your couple is adorable.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by