D'Uccles

turnerb

Hatching
7 Years
Oct 16, 2012
I recently acquired 3 D'Uccles, one rooster and 2 hens, after building a pen inside my shed, right next to my silkies and frizzles, they started laying, which was great, my question is they are pulling out their feathers only at the top of their crops lower neck, I do know they weren't properly cared for before, just wondering if any one knew why or a remedy for this, they are so cute, I just love "Doc" and his ladies, I would not want them to be unhappy. Any suggestions?

Are they old enough to be molting?

If they are indeed pulling the feathers out and eating them they could be lacking protein in the diet.

Or they could have mites (can cause feather loss).

Or it could be a bad habit they got into.

You can apply no-pick lotion on the area as it tastes bad (Rooster Booster pick no more lotion).

Thank-you I really don't know how old they are, the place I got them said around a year old, I don't think its mites because my silkies and frizzle babies are right beside them and don't have the issue, I don't have them a outside pen yet, but leave door open and they get fresh air, also red lights at night for silkies and frizzles, keeps shed warm. Can I buy that no-pick lotion anywhere? I am in South Carolina.

Thank-you I really don't know how old they are, the place I got them said around a year old, I don't think its mites because my silkies and frizzle babies are right beside them and don't have the issue, I don't have them a outside pen yet, but leave door open and they get fresh air, also red lights at night for silkies and frizzles, keeps shed warm. Can I buy that no-pick lotion anywhere? I am in South Carolina.

I buy it from the feed store- it does stain- looks like molasses. It may or may not help...it works well with baby chicks but I haven't tried it on adults. It is sold online too.

You know, if they are a year old, maybe they are molting? Have you actually seen them removing the feathers or is it possible they are falling out by themselves?

Back
Top Bottom