Duck Acts Drunk

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by tonini3059, Dec 18, 2009.

1. tonini3059

tonini3059 [IMG]emojione/assets/png/2665.png?v=2.2.7[/IMG]Luv

Nov 6, 2008
    Southwestern PA
    Hubby posted this in the duck section so I copy and pasted it here. Hence the wording...
    I just went to check on my ducks and I noticed one that was staggering around like it was drunk. She is able to get up and move and acts like a normal duck, albeit drunk. She would start to walk them stagger to one side and fall done or she would stand up tall then fall over. I put her in the wash tub and she swims but shakes a lot, and didn't defecate when I put her in the warm water, which is unusual, they all seem to do that as soon as they hit the water. Sorry to be so ambiguous, but I do not know how better to describe it, so help if you can and ask questions and I will do my best to answer them so we can help my duck.

2. chicks4kids

chicks4kids Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 22, 2009
    Northern Indiana
    Although I have had no experience in this, it sounds like his equilibrium is off. Perhaps he has an ear infection of some sort?? I sure hope he gets better. But that's about the only thing that came to mind with your description.

3. Wifezilla

Wifezilla Positively Ducky

Oct 2, 2008
    Colorado
    Take it to the vet.

This could be a bad infection or a neurological problem.

4. tonini3059

tonini3059 [IMG]emojione/assets/png/2665.png?v=2.2.7[/IMG]Luv

Nov 6, 2008
    Southwestern PA
    I don't think it is an equilibrium problem, she is having bad tremors and is shaking so I think that is why she is having balance problems.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by