duck advice

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by Kendell, Aug 15, 2013.

1. Kendell

Kendell Out Of The Brooder

Aug 15, 2013
    orange grove, texas
    hi my names kendell and i have seven ducks two mallords {one male, one female} , two pekin ducks {one male, one female} , three cayuga ducks {one male, two female}... just yesterday one of the female ducks layed one egg, i went and bought a incubator to help with hatching some eggs... my concern was should i of got the egg for incubator or left it alone for the momma duck to take care if the egg??? all day long she never showed interest in the egg so me being first time to get the oppertunit to hatch a egg i thought momma duck would never sit on the egg so i put it in the incubator and researched what all to do for incubation.... i read a post that most ducks will not go sit on any eggs until they have around 12-15 eggs together so now im questioning putting the egg in incubator... exspecially now that i found out ducks will lay one or possibly two eggs every day and with incubation when you put eggs in first day it says your not suppose to mess with for one full day so f im putting new egg in incubator everyday then previous egg would get messed up becuse your suppose to turn it every other hour... so these are my main concerns right now... is it honestly better to hatch eggs if you just leave it up to the ducks to do the job?? or should i just take over and use incubator... its my first time at this and also all my ducks as well... and if im to keep incubating them then how does it work with the whole every day putting a new egg in the incubator??? just any advice and answers to my question would be much appreciated... thank you kendell

2. 1muttsfan

1muttsfan Overrun With Chickens

Mar 26, 2011
    Upper Peninsula Michigan
    Hi and welcome to BYC from northern Michigan [​IMG]

You would be better off to discard that egg, then save eggs for a week or so and incubate them together. Your duck will not sit on the eggs until she has a clutch together, and maybe not then if she does not go broody.

Be sure to visit the Ducks section of the Forum to meet up with other duck folks who can answer many of your questions.

1 person likes this.
  3. write2caroline

write2caroline Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 21, 2009
    Jacksonville
    [​IMG]
    Welcome - I know nothing about Ducks but I know there is a whole tab about them so check it out!

Caroline

1 person likes this.
  4. Kendell

Kendell Out Of The Brooder

Aug 15, 2013
    orange grove, texas
    ok so broody is basicly a duck wanting to lay on her eggs... from everything i have been researching im basicly going to do what you told me... wait for 12-15 eggs and then incubate them if female duck is still not showing interest in laying on them... so from here on out that the duck is alive everyday they will lay a egg or is there a point where they will just stop laying eggs all together??? and with me waiting for those 15 eggs to collect for incubation it wont decrease the hatch rate for those first few eggs layed first since there basicly just sitting out with no heat until 15 days to collect them??? hope im making sense with my questions...

5. liz9910

liz9910 Overrun With Chickens

Apr 8, 2012
    Northern California
    1 person likes this.
  6. BantamFan4Life

BantamFan4Life LOOK WHAT YOU MADE ME DO. Premium Member

Jun 15, 2012
    Washington
    My Coop
    [​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  7. redsoxs

redsoxs Chicken Obsessed

Jul 17, 2011
    North Central Kansas
    Greetings from Kansas, Kendell, and [​IMG]! Happy to have you with us! Good luck to you and your ducks!

1 person likes this.
  8. Mr MKK FARMS

Mr MKK FARMS Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Sep 27, 2012
    Welcome to BYC! Glad you joined us! [​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  9. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    [​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  10. 1muttsfan

1muttsfan Overrun With Chickens

Mar 26, 2011
    Upper Peninsula Michigan
    Broodiness is a hormonal change that causes birds to nest on their eggs, keeping them warm and turning them regularly until they hatch. Some birds will go broody readily, others not at all. you can't cause a bird to become broody, so if you want to hatch eggs and do not have a broody to put them under, you will need to incubate them.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by