Duck ailment

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by OddSquad, Nov 18, 2014.

1. OddSquad

OddSquad New Egg

Nov 18, 2014
    Hello, I'm new here but I would usually lurk at all the threads to find information about how to raise my ducks. Yesterday I came home from work to find my ducks all fine except for one of them. I grew a pair of ducks together except this one grew much bigger than the other it's almost the size of my 7 month snowy mallard.

I came home from work and she wouldn't run she would just stand on one leg. later she would just scoot on the floor to move and won't eat anymore. I can't really afford a vet right now, is there anything I can do?[​IMG]

2. Miss Lydia

Miss Lydia Running over with Blessings Premium Member

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    Can you find Brewers Yeast or plain niacin tablets? sounds like she may have a dificieny which can happen with ducklings if fed chick starter which most of us use. But it seems to affect some ducklings more than others.
    Did you look her over for any injury? Brewers yeast can be found at natural health food stores or on line niacin can be found at pharmacies. Has to be plain though not flush free. 200 megs niacin to 1 gal of water or 1Tab of BY to 1 cup of feed. At 7 months though i wonder if it could be an injury?

3. OddSquad

OddSquad New Egg

Nov 18, 2014

No,the duckling is about 1 and a half months old now. She is almost the size of another duck I have which is 7 months. But thank you! I'll head over to the store to pick some up.

4. Miss Lydia

Miss Lydia Running over with Blessings Premium Member

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    Oh sorry I read the ages wrong. Keep us updated please, usually if a dificiency they rebound pretty quick like less than a week. [​IMG]

And Welcome to BYC!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by