1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Duck alert system

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by TLWR, Apr 19, 2017.

1. TLWR

TLWR Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 10, 2010
    southern AL
    Every now and then, one of the ducks will just quack. Either sit in the pond and quack away at nothing I can figure out. Sometimes one of them is doing it while standing in the yard, quacking away at who knows what. I tell them all they are doing is letting the neighborhood predators know dinner is available.

Tonight I went out with the dog to play and Cadbury is standing in the yard quacking (and had been for a bit). I finally went over to see what she was quacking at. I saw nothing, turned around and was about 3' from a poisonous snake. Ducks walked away and carried on as nothing out of the normal was happening. I got the dogs inside and the DH outside to dispatch of our poisonous visitor.

Thanks Cadbury. Extra peas tonight!

2. Hillaire

Hillaire Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 13, 2017
    Hudson Valley NY
    awesome! usually if they are quacking more than often it could be a bird flying over (hawk) or something that you just don't see or notice. My guineas do the same and I am always sure to pay attention to it

3. TLWR

TLWR Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 10, 2010
    southern AL
    They just hide when they see birds that might be a threat, no letting anybody know about it [​IMG]

4. Hillaire

Hillaire Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 13, 2017
    Hudson Valley NY
    lol wish my guinea hens did that... it would probably cause a few less headaches

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by