Duck always laying down

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by 4ducks, Jul 8, 2015.

1. 4ducks

4ducks In the Brooder

Jul 6, 2015
    My 7 week old caguya always lays down and doesn't get up unless I walk by it. It also gets up to follow its crested friend. Then, it just lays back down. Is this normal?

2. Debs Flock

Debs Flock Crossing the Road

Apr 28, 2015
    Jefferson County, MO
    Does it seem healthy otherwise? Is it eating, drinking, pooing and sleeping? What are you feeding them?

3. 4ducks

4ducks In the Brooder

Jul 6, 2015
    Yes he's eating, drinking, and pooping. I'm feeding him a green duck food bag that says POULTRY on the side.

4. needlessjunk

needlessjunk Crowing

May 19, 2014
    Georgetown, TX
    If it's other wise healthy and does get up and walk around I would think it is okay, just likes to lay down. I have 1 or 2 that are lazy. It is always laying down and alert or is it always sleeping? Also is it hot where you are and sleeping in the shade?

5. Miss Lydia

Miss Lydia Loving this country life

Have you been using niacin or Brewers yeast with your ducks? how are it's legs looking are they straight or bowed at all? It's important they get the right amount of B3 which is niacin as they are growing but you say duck food so they should be getting enough but even at that some just need more.

6. casportpony

casportpony Team Tube Feeding Captain & Poop Inspector General

Go look at the bag and let us know who make it.

-Kathy

7. 4ducks

4ducks In the Brooder

Jul 6, 2015
    He isn't really sleeping, just laying down, most of the time he's in the shade. It's very easy for them to find shade of not

8. seashoreduck

seashoreduck Songster

May 6, 2013
    I don't know where you are but it's been hot here in New England. My ducks are something like 3 months old, have plenty of access to water but pretty much just snooze the day away these past few weeks. They are semi-free range and the most I see out of them is when it pours they head to the puddle in the driveway to celebrate.

9. Miss Lydia

Miss Lydia Loving this country life

Have they been given Brewers yeast or Niacin since wee ducklings? and what feed are they on Name brand please.

10. 4ducks

4ducks In the Brooder

Jul 6, 2015
    It is hot here, and my duck is all black, so he is either hot (even though he's in shade), lazy, or there's something wrong

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: