1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Duck and Chicken egg question

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by Grindlefamily, Jun 4, 2008.

1. Grindlefamily

Grindlefamily Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 30, 2008
    Fairfield, ME
    okay - I was looking on ebay for duck eggs (my mom has a pond and is considering adding ducks [​IMG] which means I might get to incubate more babies!!!!) and I found a few that listed duck and chicken eggs together. I only have 1 incubator and was wondering if you could put both in at once. I know duck eggs are 28 days and chicken are just 21. So, it would seem logical to start the duck eggs first, but then the chicken eggs would be "too" old right?

LOL I don't need any baby chickens but they are just so darn cute!

Louella

2. Mrs MIA

Mrs MIA Chick Magnet

Mar 3, 2008
    The biggest difference, besides the timing, is the humidity. My understanding (I've never actually hatched ducks...yet... [​IMG]) is that duck eggs have to be misted, or kept at a higher humidity than chicken eggs.

3. MandyH

MandyH You'll shoot your eye out!

Duck eggs DO have to be kept at a higher humidity level than the chickens.

4. SueNH

SueNH Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 24, 2007
    I tried it with my own eggs last year. Starting with the duck and putting chicken in a week later. It didn't work real well for the duck eggs. A few hatched. Most died in their shell. I'm assuming the lower humidity.

I've been tempted by those mixed auctions but the chicken eggs would be a week or more old and you either drown the chicks or dessicate the ducks. Wasted money, wasted eggs.

I'm coming to the end of pretty decent hatch for shipped duck eggs now. I didn't do anything different with the humidity until the final few days. When I stopped turning I increased the humidity. It's been fluxing between 75% and 80% as the eggs hatch. Light rain fell most of the day yesterday so the air was juicy and it wasn't hard keeping things moist.

Also remember that baby ducks are really messy. Plan accordingly.

5. BirdBoy88

BirdBoy88 Angel Egg

Dec 26, 2007
    Maryland
    My first time hatching eggs i Incubated duck and chicken eggs at the same time. and i got a 50% hatch with the chicken eggs and 90% hatch with the duck eggs. [​IMG]

6. Mrs MIA

Mrs MIA Chick Magnet

Mar 3, 2008
    I would think that a mixed auction would be a good reason to get a second incubator... but that's just me. [​IMG]

[​IMG]

7. Grindlefamily

Grindlefamily Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 30, 2008
    Fairfield, ME
    [​IMG] and then I would need a new husband! [​IMG] okay - so no mixed auctions here LOL I guess I'll go back and look around a little more.

Louella

8. SueNH

Feb 24, 2007
    I think my husband would run away if I brought home a second incubator.
    I've got 3 different boxes of peeps going in here now. Doubling the hatching capacity wouldn't be a good thing.

I do have an old dead round one out in the barn. I should get that running and use it as a hatcher. I don't think DH would cringe at a repair project.

I've got 12 ducks newly hatched and a bunch of chickens and turkeys, some older ducks that are heading outside today to free the bigger cage up for others. It's finally warming up here so hopefully I won't have the duckies inside when the slobber machine really turns on.

9. SueNH

Feb 24, 2007
    I think my husband would run away if I brought home a second incubator.
    I've got 3 different boxes of peeps going in here now. Doubling the hatching capacity wouldn't be a good thing.

I do have an old dead round one out in the barn. I should get that running and use it as a hatcher. I don't think DH would cringe at a repair project.

I've got 12 ducks newly hatched and a bunch of chickens and turkeys, some older ducks that are heading outside today to free the bigger cage up for others. It's finally warming up here so hopefully I won't have the duckies inside when the slobber machine really turns on.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by