duck and chicken eggs together

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by jj ranch, Jan 13, 2009.

1. jj ranch

jj ranch Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 13, 2009
    i have heard you can do this but if put in at same time and you have to add more humidity 3 days before hatch and chickens hatch first, will it hurt ducks to have humidity higher. they take about a week longer. do i lower humidity slowly back down for ducks after chickens. oh man im lost and worried.

2. willowcol

willowcol Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 10, 2008
    Macclesfield NC
    Someone had a post about doing chicken and duck eggs on here earlier. Sorry I haven't ever tried duck eggs but maybe find the other post and see how things turn out for them. I would definately try to get the humidity back down after the chickens hatch if the ducks are not due to hatch yet.

3. Eastins Eggs

Eastins Eggs Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 11, 2009
    Ceresco Nebraska
    Duck and Chicken eggs hatch at different times. Chicken 21 days, Duck 28 days. would incubate separately.

4. Fudgie

Fudgie Hatching Queen - Got Fudge?

I start my duck eggs before the chickens then put the chickens in a week later. that way they are all hatching at the same time

5. BirdBoy88

BirdBoy88 Angel Egg

Dec 26, 2007
    Maryland
    Some people say don't incubate duck eggs with chicken eggs because the humidity difference but when i got my first incubator at that time i only had one incubator and i had 10 duck eggs in the bator with 4 chicken eggs and 7 duck eggs hatch and 2 chicken eggs hatch as you can see on my BYC page [​IMG]

maybe someone with more info can help you [​IMG]

6. jj ranch

jj ranch Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 13, 2009
    thanks so much. i will next time put duck in a week later next time. im still trying to figure out how to use the smilies but all i get are the [​IMG] thing. i love this forum it is so helpful [​IMG]

7. Fudgie

Fudgie Hatching Queen - Got Fudge?

JJ when you reply to a post there are the smileys at the top and then over at the right hand side you see a thing that says smiles show hide. click show and VOILA there they are! [​IMG]

I am sure you meant to say put your duck eggs in a week EARLIER right...Ducks 28 Chicken 21

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by