Duck and Chicken Laying feed

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by the3hices, Dec 29, 2013.

1. the3hices

the3hices Out Of The Brooder

Dec 29, 2013
    Hello All!
    My family and I are new to the whole ducks and chickens thing...we were given two khaki ducks, and five Black Astrolorpes...they are all in the same coop and doing really well!
    Our ducks are a year and a half and lay an egg a day, the chickens we were told are this years spring chickens...
    The chickens are not laying, they have a well insulated coop and plenty of feed and water...
    The feed we are using is for the ducks primarily, because we got them first....Should I change up what they eat next time we buy? Or are they ok with the same feed??
    Thanks for your help on this!!

2. Amiga

Amiga Overrun with Runners Premium Member

Jan 3, 2010
    Southern New England
    What time of year is it where you are? Temperatures? What feed are you using?

Ducks can outlay chickens, by the way. Khaki Campbells are said to be particularly good layers.

Welcome to the Duck Forum!

3. Ancona Breeder

Ancona Breeder Out Of The Brooder

May 14, 2012
    They are okay with the same feed the ducks get. As said my Ameiga, Khaki Cambells are excellent layers. To get the chickens to lay when the days are short, you must provide artificial light. If that does not work, they may be in molt.

4. the3hices

Dec 29, 2013
    Well, two are for sure in molt...there are no real tail feathers....they go through a full molt before they ever do lay right? It is winter here, but not that cold, and we have artificial light in the coop. My hubby has insulation on the roof and the coop stays around 55 degrees...the light is red, cause we had read that the bright light can cause aggression....thanks for the encouragement!!

5. Amiga

Jan 3, 2010
    Southern New England
    I add a little dry cat kibble to my ducks' feed when they are molting, to provide a little extra protein for all that feather building.

What kind of feed are they getting?

6. the3hices

Dec 29, 2013
    Everyone is laying happily!! Have regular duck eggs and chicken eggs now! We put a heat lamp in for them....and they are finishing up the mullting on the two that were still doing that.

7. Amiga

Jan 3, 2010
    Southern New England
    [​IMG]

8. the3hices

Dec 29, 2013
    I know right?!?!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by