Duck and chicken lifespans?

Hyper_Chicken05

Songster
Nov 29, 2017
New Zealand
Hi guys, I was wandering a duck site and a thought came in to my head, Do ducks or chickens live longer? I know that a healthy heritage breed chicken can live up to 12 years at the Most, So I searched up some duck stuff and different sites said different things, Like 5-10 Or 10-15 so I decided to come here for Info, But anyways thanks for your reply’s.

In general my chickens live between 4-10 years. My muscovy ducks live longer on average, most make it to 12-14 years.

In the wild, ducks average about 5-10 years (excluding the high duckling mortality rate).
Domestic ducks -given proper care- can live up to 15 years or more, though some breeds have sorter lifespans than others. Typically larger breeds of duck (like Pekins) have shorter life spans.
A safe average (used in a loose since, not in a mean/median/mode sorta way) is about 10 years for a pet/backyard duck.

Wild Chickens also fall in the 5-10 year range, with domestic breeds averaging 12-14 years.

In the wild, ducks average about 5-10 years (excluding the high duckling mortality rate).
Domestic ducks -given proper care- can live up to 15 years or more, though some breeds have sorter lifespans than others. Typically larger breeds of duck (like Pekins) have shorter life spans.
A safe average (used in a loose since, not in a mean/median/mode sorta way) is about 10 years for a pet/backyard duck.

Wild Chickens also fall in the 5-10 year range, with domestic breeds averaging 12-14 years.
I believe your domestic chicken life span is skewed as is all those given as an average on multiple sites and books. I have yet to have a chicken live to 14. Those that make it to around 10 isn't necessarily the norm. Many posts on here have discussed chickens lifespan. Most do not see birds get past 10 with an occasional one living longer. The average gives people a false hope, and makes them feel terrible when their 5 year old chicken dies. I think the average should be your wild average at 5-10. In my experiences that is more realistic. 12-14 is more the upper limits of actual lifespan.

I believe your domestic chicken life span is skewed as is all those given as an average on multiple sites and books. I have yet to have a chicken live to 14. Those that make it to around 10 isn't necessarily the norm. Many posts on here have discussed chickens lifespan. Most do not see birds get past 10 with an occasional one living longer. The average gives people a false hope, and makes them feel terrible when their 5 year old chicken dies. I think the average should be your wild average at 5-10. In my experiences that is more realistic. 12-14 is more the upper limits of actual lifespan.
Wait are we taking in care, Nutrition and breed?

Wait are we taking in care, Nutrition and breed?
Just from what I've read on this site, and my experiences keeping chickens. Nothing scientific at all. A couple of thread I've seem on this site where people share the ages of their oldest chickens. 12-14 is an unusual age for a chicken to make it to.

Back
Top Bottom