1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Duck and Chicken Run

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by LorelloFarms, Apr 23, 2017.

1. LorelloFarms

LorelloFarms Just Hatched

Apr 18, 2017
    I am new to chickens and ducks and I have been given mixed messages about several different issues. I currently have six two and a half week chicks (three Brown ISA and three Australorps) and three Campbell Kahki's that appear to be about 4 weeks. I have three different questions.
    1. Can my chickens and ducks (once full grown and feathered) share a common run? I am planning on having a regular, ground soil/dirt run around the edge of my garden. It's about two feet wide and runs in a "U" pattern with the two smaller sides about 8 feet long and the back stretch is 26' long. It's about four feet tall.
    2. The plant portion of my garden will have two foot fences around them. Would that be enough to keep my ducks out of the plants if I wanted to let them free range in there?
    3. What is the best flooring for chicken and duck coops? Is it the same? Do I need to use something special for their run?

I have gotten such great feed back from other posts! I am very thankful for all the advice!

2. chickens really

chickens really Overrun With Chickens

In my experience Ducks and Chickens should be housed separately...:).....If you end up with Drakes they will try to breed Chickens and that can kill a Chicken because Drakes have a Penis and breed Chicken Hens differently than a Rooster who basically rubs belly buttons to breed...;).....Sorry for being so blunt...:(

Ducks are wet and messy..:).....a Chickens need things dry..:)

Best wishes..:)

Cheers!

3. LorelloFarms

Apr 18, 2017
    Ha! As a science teacher, no need to mince words [​IMG] That's one of the conflicting piece of information I've heard; some say I shouldn't think twice about doing it and others say don't do it! I actually had a coworker tell me about a drake of hers that tried to rape all her chicken hens.
    Also, they are going to have separate houses; on opposite ends of the garden. I was just wondering about the run for them during the day.
    Thanks for the advice!

Last edited: Apr 23, 2017
  4. chickens really

Phew...;)......Totally keep them separate ...;).....I sure do..:).....My Call Drake is a monster..! One year old drakes are Randy.....:(

5. LorelloFarms

Apr 18, 2017
    Good to know! Since my ducklings are still young, I'm not sure their gender but think that I have one drake and two ducks.

6. chickens really

Young Drakes mount Hens..;)...But when hormones go crazy next spring..;)....look out..:)

7. sunnysideup2

sunnysideup2 Out Of The Brooder

Apr 27, 2014
    Aiken
    I keep 6 hens and 3 ducks. No males. They free range together well, but I house them at night separately. The ducks are very wet and don't sleep at night. The hens roost high and lay eggs in nest boxes, and the Ducks sleep and lay eggs on the ground. I have a 3-4"layer of sand down in the duck pen and it works great. I use a cat litter scoop every morning to clean it and it's so easy. The chicken coop has a plywood floor with pine shavings. I pick up poop every morning with a paper towel. Couldn't be easier. It's dry, never smelly and takes 5 minutes to clean all. The ducks are the top of the pecking order, but just move the hens about, no aggression. If something frightens them, they bond together, and get along well.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by