Duck and Chickens Together?

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by JustMarie, Jun 20, 2010.

1. JustMarie

JustMarie Out Of The Brooder

Jun 20, 2010
    NE Georgia
    I posted this on the chicken forum too. I have 5 RIR and 2 mallard ducks. My female duck does great with the chickens but my drake has been "pecking" at them, not enough to pull feathers yet. My mom told me this morning that he was putting his head-neck on the chicken backs, i guess trying to mount them. Ive read that drakes will kill chickens but i didnt think i would have a problem with them til they was older, since their only 12 weeks old right now. My question is do i need to keep him by himself or does he have to go????? BTW they aint penned together, they just share the same yard.

2. muddyhorse

muddyhorse Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 11, 2009
    Bloomsdale, MO
    [​IMG] Mine all run together with out any problems, in fact my duck hatched 2 chicks, 2 ducklings, and 9 keets (guineas) over the weekend. she shared the nest with a hen who liked to sit on HER. occasionally there has been a tussle but nothing bad. but every animal is an individual

3. ilovemuscovy

ilovemuscovy Out Of The Brooder

Jun 1, 2010
    Los Angeles
    they should be fine

4. Barbmcdon

Barbmcdon Out Of The Brooder

May 23, 2010
    I am new to raising chicks and ducks, started with 6 chicks and 2 ducks.....well learned about predator proofing to late and ended up with 1 duck and a chick, (just like Joey and Chandler, Friends:) well I have more chicks but no more ducks, when my chicks were old enough to go upstairs in the coop I heard this duck running through the yard quacking very loudly, I ran out thinking something had gotten them again, nope he could not find the chicks and did not settle down until I put him upstairs with the chicks, he sleeps with them while they roost. He thinks he is a chick.

5. JustMarie

JustMarie Out Of The Brooder

Jun 20, 2010
    NE Georgia
    Thanks for replying yall. Also thanks for the welcome Muddy:D. He can stay but i'll be keeping an eye on him

6. cluckcluck42

cluckcluck42 Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 4, 2009
    Quebec
    I am wondering also- we are getting a few Pekin ducklings. Hmm.

7. Mom 2em All

Mom 2em All Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 20, 2008
    Southeast Michigan
    I right now have some very young mallards in with some very young silkies- the four of them are very bonded- and it is very cute to watch the silkies try to be ducklings. They fluftter their feathers like the ducklings and rush the water dish- then stop right at the water and go, "Umm. No." lol. The ducklings splash and the chicks flutter their feathers and get just as excited as the ducklings do.

Outside, I have my ducks with my chickens and everyone gets along fine. The ducks dont sleep in the coop with the chickens- they have thier own spot that they picked out. They all hunt for bugs together and sun themselves together with no problems.

On the other hand,

My brother in law has four or five drakes in with his chickens and it is a terrible experience. I cant even go over there anymore because it breaks my heart. The drakes are constantly grabbing at the hens and trying to mount them and pinning them to the ground. [​IMG] The roosters do not stop this behavior or protect the hens from the drakes. Or if they do, I have never seen it.

My advice is do what works for you, but be prepared in case there ever is a problem.

8. easttxchick

easttxchick Lone Star Call Ducks

Aug 3, 2009
    I have 3-6 week old Call ducks that I allowed around my chickens under close supervision. My fear was that the chickens would hurt my precious, tiny, gentle little Calls-NOT! More than once I saw my ducklings grab a hen by the tail and try to drag them around. My poor chickens are now afraid of the ducks so NO WAY am I going to allow them together!
    Don't let those sweet little ducky faces fool you! They are actually chickens harassers in disguise. [​IMG]

9. NellaBean

NellaBean Graceland Farms

Mar 4, 2009
    Broodyland, TN
    My Coop
    I have 12 young ducks..........got them from Metzers 5 weeks ago as day olds. I have them in with young cockerels....all bantams...about 3-4 months old. The chickens beat up the ducks....bad enough I tossed out the worst of the boys into the free range flock. Tired of hearing the ducklings "screaming" and running away from the mean boys. They are already WAAAY bigger than the chickens but getting picked on. They do have a single bantam cochin the same age as them who grew up with them, and he is part of the duck crew, no problems.

That is my only experience. My plan is to keep the ducks out in the yard loose with the chickens. I don't expect any major problems but if I do have them, they will be separated or sold off. Any roosters who are mean to the ducks will be removed. I have only 1 drake and 11 ducks....so don't expect drake vs rooster/chicken problems, but if I do, that will be dealt with as well. The yard is a 1/2 acre with tons of hiding spots so plenty of room for everyone to stay out of each other's business.

eta: now that the couple "mean boys" have been removed from the duck/rooster pen, there have been no further problems.

Last edited: Jun 21, 2010
  10. Mrs. Turbo

Mrs. Turbo Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 26, 2009
    ky
    our chickens free range with the ducks....i think if there is plenty of room it shouldn't be a problem.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by