duck and chickens/turkeys share diseases?

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by onthespot, Dec 13, 2009.

1. onthespot

onthespot Deluxe Dozens

Mar 29, 2008
    Riverside/Norco, CA
    A friend of mine sold her house and will be renting until they find the right deal. She gave me her chickens and ducks to have/use/hold until they find a place. I have never had or read up on ducks before. They are muscovies, a drake and three hens. I have them securely housed away from everything else, but was wondering if anyone could share with me if they carry diseases that could affect my turkeys and chickens if I was to mix them/house them closer later on? Thanks for any help. They are fine where they are now, just wondering.

2. pips&peeps

pips&peeps There is no "I" in Ameraucana

Jan 18, 2008
    Newman Lake, WA
    I don't think ducks or geese get chicken or turkey diseases, well at least not the most common ones anyway. Their body temperature is too high.

Turkeys, however, do spread marek's and MG to chickens.

ETA: Oops forgot that ducks and geese could carry cocci to your farm, they are better equipped to fight it, but could carry oocytes to your place.

Last edited: Dec 13, 2009
  3. onthespot

onthespot Deluxe Dozens

Mar 29, 2008
    Riverside/Norco, CA
    OOH! Good to know about the cocci. I put them up a completely new covered pen, on lawn that had never had chickens on it, and where I would never put chickens later on, just in case. They look really happy there and should be okay until they close on their new house, whenever that is, or forever if it turns out that way too.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by