1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Duck and chickens

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by llg3212, Jun 7, 2016.

1. llg3212

llg3212 New Egg

Jun 2, 2016
    Hello, i am a first time chicken owner and also picked up a khaki Campbell duck. They are all 11 weeks old, 4 chickens and the duck. Will they be able to live together? Does the duck need a pool of some sort? Also will she fly when she gets older? [​IMG]

2. sumi

sumi Égalité Staff Member

Jun 28, 2011
    Rep of Ireland
    Welcome to BYC [​IMG] They can live together, but if the duck turns out to be a drake, it would be better to keep him away from your hens, as he's likely to try and romance and injure them, if you know what I mean.

Here's some more info on housing different poultry types together:

https://www.backyardchickens.com/a/how-to-keep-different-poultry-types-living-together-in-one-coop

Whether or not (s)he can fly I'm afraid I can't tell you, but if you post on the Campbell duck thread, their owners and breeders will tell you more:

https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/302654/the-khaki-campbell-duck-thread/0_30

Enjoy the site!

1 person likes this.
  3. TheMauveDuck

TheMauveDuck Out Of The Brooder

Apr 22, 2016
    the duck definitely needs a pool but you can use an old kiddie pool. Just make sure they're on compatible foods. i suggest you get another duck or it will be lonely and the chickens don't have access to the pool because they will drown .

1 person likes this.
  4. BantamFan4Life

BantamFan4Life Out of the Woods Premium Member

Jun 15, 2012
    Washington
    Welcome to BYC! I'm glad you joined us! :)

1 person likes this.
  5. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    What a beautiful duck, the khaki campbells are so pretty. I think your duck may have imprinted on the chickens so unless they fly away, I don't think the duck will. Heed what sumi said about male ducks. Duck anatomy is quite different than a chicken. They can kill a chicken hen trying to breed her. Ducks really do need a little kiddy pool or something to swim in. I don't think chickens will follow them in.

Often chickens hatch duck eggs and are distressed when the babies head for water - but the hens don't follow them in. If you can figure out what sex your duck is, then you could get a mate for it.

You may want to post photos on the duck thread and see if they can tell.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by