Duck and Drake help

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by jackicole, Jun 10, 2016.

1. jackicole

jackicole New Egg

Jun 10, 2016
    I had 2 ducks and 4 drakes. They grew up together and all was good until nesting time. The ducks wonder all the way off the lake to one of the houses up the road and try to nest there. Meanwhile the drakes poop all over there sidewalk and drive. The neighbors went from not mentioning it to furious. We tried to keep them out ( a full fense is not an option). So getting rid of them is the only way. We tried just getting rid of the 2 ducks and hopes the drakes would stay at the lake and our yard. It's been a day and they went back up there, my thoughts are they are looking for the 2 ducks. After a long argument with the neighbor, he agreed to give us a week to let the drakes adjust.
    Will they adjust and stop going all they way up there?
    Is this completely cruel taking the ducks they've grown with for 2+ years?
    Should I just take the drakes to where the ducks are?

2. Poultry parent

Poultry parent Chillin' With My Peeps

can you fence the ducks in a smaller area? or fence the pond in?

3. chickens really

chickens really Overrun With Chickens

I have a 120 foot poultry fence that can be electric but its not turned on. My ducks live in 10X10 dog runs. I only let them out if I am with them. You might need to lock them up while your not around too keep them home.?
    Or send them off too live with the hens?

4. Quackalackin

Quackalackin Out Of The Brooder

May 3, 2016
    Oregon
    I'd try keeping them in a smaller area closer to your house for awhile so they can establish a home base. Home is where the food is! If they remain free ranging, they will likely continue to explore out that way as they are comfortable calling that area home as well. They are likely looking for the girls as well, but given time hopefully they will accept that they are gone

If wandering to the neighbors continues to be a problem and you can't run a permanent fence, you might try a strip of mild electric tape for a bit. It was an unintentional lesson my ducks learned when one got too close to the neighbors horse pasture and got zapped. It freaked out which caused everyone to freak out and run home. I haven't seen them that way since. I'll definitely repeat mild electricity though, I'm sure the zap from horse wire was hefty for a duck. Or if you have the time, spend a day or two monitoring them a chasing them back home whenever they wonder towards the neighbors. Basically, the idea is to do something that makes going to the neighbors unpleasant.

5. jackicole

jackicole New Egg

Jun 10, 2016
    Unfortunately it's a community lake. Too big to fense. We can put them up at night, but during the day is the problem. The whole reason we got them was so we can watch them on the lake. Most of the neighborhood enjoys them. But our HOA covenants does say we can't have poultry, we got a year before we knew that. No one has mentioned us having to get rid of them, but this situation could force that.

6. jackicole

jackicole New Egg

Jun 10, 2016
    my main trouble with keeping them down is that they are going through other yards than mine to get to this "no no" house. We do run them every time. We even fired off some cherry bombs once to scare them.
    I'm thinking I'm doomed

7. chickens really

chickens really Overrun With Chickens

That is too bad...You have a tough decision to make.
    Always someone out their ruining every ones fun.

Good luck.

8. Quackalackin

May 3, 2016
    Oregon
    Seems like you have some persistent ones then! That's unfortunate, especially if many neighbors do enjoy them. If you want to keep them, I'd really keep them locked in a run by the house for a couple weeks at least, then let them out supervised and not letting them anywhere near the neighbors property line. It definitely seems like a duck thing to do to have an entire lake neighborhood that enjoys their company but choose to make home in the one house that doesn't want them... Best of luck, hopefully your drakes can figure this out

1 person likes this.
  9. Quackalackin

May 3, 2016
    Oregon
    And another idea, maybe hens would be better to free range in an area like that as you can create a nest site area and they'll more likely stick with it, where as lonely drakes may wonder off in search of some hens?

10. jackicole

jackicole New Egg

Jun 10, 2016

We had 2 hens. They were the ones who started this. They wanted to nest in the neighbors bushes. That's why we got rid of them hoping the drakes would stop going there if not lead. I thought about getting some new ones, start from scratch, but I'm sure the neighbor would blow up at that.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by