Duck and Goose Tips Please

Discussion in 'Meat Birds ETC' started by sweetshoplady, Apr 17, 2009.

1. sweetshoplady

sweetshoplady Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 4, 2008
    Venice, Florida
    I processed my first duckling yesterday. I ended up skinning it as it was a real struggle getting it scalded well enough to pluck easily. It's being brined right now.

What age do you process them? I'm getting geese in May and plan on having one for Christmas dinner, but would like to do it with the skin on as I want to roast it.

Is stewing the only way to keep the meat moist now that I've skinned it or any other tips on how to cook it, should I debone it and fry it? (like boneless chicken breast?)

I am so looking forward to this meal, I haven't had duck in years. [​IMG]

2. scooter147

scooter147 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 30, 2008
    Missouri
    I hope other reply but I love fried duck. It's been a while since I have had it but my granny use to fry yount duck all the time. TASTY!!!!!

3. Steve_of_sandspoultry

Steve_of_sandspoultry Overrun With Chickens

We make stir fry from the breasts that comes out really good and tender. For the ducks we just about always skin them - the leg 1/4's and gibblets we make duck sausage, the breasts you can do alot with, stir fry, grill, bake. there isn't really much else to a duck other than breast and legs - you could cook the rest down for soup.

Duck Sausage
    [​IMG]

Duck Breast
    [​IMG]

We always have a Christmas goose and found the best way was to dry pluck as much as you can while the body is still warm, then scald and pluck and pluck and pluck. [​IMG]

4. farmerlor

farmerlor Chillin' With My Peeps

Quote:Do you use one of those plucking machines Steve?

5. Steve_of_sandspoultry

Yes but it's the old fashioned kind.

It has two arms, and 5 fingers on each arm. With Sharon and I both it has 4 arms. [​IMG] , Since Sharon is from Texas sometimes she uses her feet.... they are a little backwards down there.

I know, I know "shut up Steve"

LOL

6. farmerlor

farmerlor Chillin' With My Peeps

Quote:Oooooh, you are in SOOOO much trouble now!!! LOL!

7. ohiofarmgirl

ohiofarmgirl Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 22, 2009
    Steve_of_sandspoultry wrote:

Yes but it's the old fashioned kind.

It has two arms, and 5 fingers on each arm. With Sharon and I both it has 4 arms. smile , Since Sharon is from Texas sometimes she uses her feet.... they are a little backwards down there.

I know, I know "shut up Steve"

LOL

Oooooh, you are in SOOOO much trouble now!!! LOL!

dude - you'd better 'duck'
    ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha​

8. sandspoultry

sandspoultry Everybody loves a Turkey

Feb 10, 2008
    Eastern NC
    Have you ladies ever watched the movie called "The Godfather"?
    You know the part where they say he sleeps with the fishes, well Steve now sleeps with turkeys......[​IMG]
    Sharon

9. ohiofarmgirl

ohiofarmgirl Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 22, 2009
    if you had a mean tom like me and old countryboy88 THEN steve would really be in trouble!!! but since you guys have all the nice one's i'm guessing they would just snuggle up to him and keep him warm!

ha ha ha ha ha ha ha

when i threaten my hubby with having to sleep ELSEWHERE he just says that it sounds like campin' and would be fun. sheesh....

10. Steve_of_sandspoultry

Has anybody ever woke up with a flock of turkeys? .... The toms are kinda kool to hang out with but the hens...... I know where the term "hen pecked" comes from now. [​IMG]

Steve in NC

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by