Duck and Rooster Questions

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by widelacing, Jul 5, 2016.

1. widelacing

widelacing Out Of The Brooder

May 18, 2016
    Oak Harbor, WA
    [​IMG]

Hi,
    I was given this juvenile rooster a few weeks ago and was told it was a silver penciled rock. However, judging by the beard and muff I know this is not the case. Does anyone know what he might be?
    [​IMG]
    Also, among the Khaki Campbell ducklings I got from the feed store was the oddball one on the left. It looks like a chocolate runner, but seems to have a less upright stance than a runner should. Funny thing was, the feed store was not selling any kind of ducklings except khakis, implying that the mix up must have happened at the hatchery. So does he look like a pure runner, or does he have something else mixed in?
    Thanks!

2. Alexandra33

Alexandra33 Chillin' With My Peeps

I have ducks, but I'm by no means an expert in that area. [​IMG] However, I do know that the rooster is an Easter Egger.

~Alex

3. widelacing

May 18, 2016
    Oak Harbor, WA
    Thank you! I had wondered if that was the case, but had never heard of one with this coloration.

4. lomine

lomine Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 7, 2015
    Peyton, CO
    I have read that some runners, especially from hatcheries, don't have the completely upright stance. That might be the case.

5. AngloAlaskan

AngloAlaskan Out Of The Brooder

Nov 30, 2015
    Wasilla, Alaska
    My runners look like yours but a bit more upright. Mine only really walk straight upright when they are running for treats or showing off their wingspan. Mine are only 10 weeks old though so they could straighten out with age. She looks beautiful though! I have a blue, and a fawn and white. They are so funny and chatty. I plan on bribing the neighbours in a few months when they start to lay.

6. widelacing

May 18, 2016
    Oak Harbor, WA
    Thank you everyone! I think I will rehome him because I have no runners to breed him with.

7. Ulladh

Ulladh Out Of The Brooder

Aug 3, 2015
    That rooster definitely looks to have faverolle in it. The beard is a distinct feature but so are those yellow hackles?

8. widelacing

May 18, 2016
    Oak Harbor, WA
    Yes, they have some yellow in them.

9. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted Premium Member

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    I'm not seeing Faverolles. They have straight combs, white skin and five toes, and everything but the straight comb is dominant. Plus, a squatter, heavier body shape.

He's an Easter egger cockerel.

10. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    EE cockerel

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by