DUCK APPEARS SICK

Gimmeaduck

Chirping
Dec 5, 2021
I have two Rouens I purchased as babies from TSC this spring. One grew to be huge, the other was always half the size. The tiny one the vet said would die. But I prayed for it and it is fine. The larger one has a raspy voice, the tiny one has a quack voice.
Both look identical and when viewing the male and female pictures of Rouens, they both appear to be female. I wondered if the large one has something lodged in a lung or throat because its voice is so raspy.
Now the large one appears to be losing weight and its feather coloring is different. Its colors are much much lighter and under its butt is a ton of fluff. The tiny one does not have all that fluff and its weight has not changed. Its coloring has not changed either it remains a dark brown. The larger one is now a pale brown, much lighter than it was.
I am concerned that something is wrong with the larger one. I am worried over it. It appears to be getting very thin behind the wings where I put the red arrows. There is no vet around here that does ducks or any type of fowl.
Does this sound familiar to anyone? I would appreciate any insight. I am concerned that it may die and the tiny one will not take it very well as they are very close buddies. Anybody? Also, I am madly in love with both of them and I don't want to lose one.

Attachments

• 292156170_1068534394056532_4307619116196675855_n.jpg
    292156170_1068534394056532_4307619116196675855_n.jpg
    266 KB · Views: 6
  • 291982927_1068534654056506_3665619796145926364_n.jpg
    291982927_1068534654056506_3665619796145926364_n.jpg
    562.1 KB · Views: 2
Last edited:
Can you weigh them to get a baseline weight, then re-weigh them every few days to make sure they aren't losing weight? And what does their poop look like?

I was reading up on them and I am thinking maybe I have a mated pair. Maybe they are not two females at all. The one I thought was sick is getting lighter colored feathers and its head has a tint of green to it now.
Maybe just by the luck of the draw, I got a male and female.
There poop is liquid but they are always in the grass eating grass. They are also on Purina Duck Pellets but all day long they are drinking their pool water which they do poop in. I can't stop that. And if they are not in their pool they are eating all this grass, and weeds and stuff. Ever since they started eating grass their stool consistency changed from firm to fluid.

They look normal to me and a raspy voice is within normal for how people describe the males. I don't have Rouens but my Pekins have a large size difference between the male and female. Usually, when anything is wrong, the first sign is they won't eat, so if they are eating and seem happy, I think yours are ok. Drinking poopy water is normal for ducks LOL And having watery stool is too, especially after swimming LOL

They look normal to me and a raspy voice is within normal for how people describe the males. I don't have Rouens but my Pekins have a large size difference between the male and female. Usually, when anything is wrong, the first sign is they won't eat, so if they are eating and seem happy, I think yours are ok. Drinking poopy water is normal for ducks LOL And having watery stool is too, especially after swimming LOL
That was it the whole time. I did not know they did this. Turns out that one is a drake, he will be beautiful when done.

Back
Top Bottom