Duck Ark

mahuti

In the Brooder
Oct 13, 2021
We brought some ducks home over a year ago, and we've been having fun raising and caring for them. Since we brought them home we've built a Duck coop based on an old European design as well as converting a large unused soccer goal into a pen.

It wasn't easy finding good housing for ducks (that works AND looks good) so we built a duck ark based on some pictures I saw when searching for prefabricated coops and plans. I couldn't find any plans that I liked, so I came up with my own plans based on the pictures that I saw of a popular European design.

I used red cedar tongue and groove paneling to build the coop, so that it was light, strong and dry. The entire side is easily removable for maintenance, and the design makes it shed rain naturally. The whole thing is on wheels so it can be rolled around as needed. Just wanted to share it with you guys in case anyone else has interest in this type of design.

I wouldn't consider this an easy build, but it was worth it to me. The worst part for me was just designing the plans from scratch, and doing all the calculations so that I didn't have to overbuy the wood (it's not cheap these days) or do any recuts. Since I figured out those details though, it'd be a lot easier for someone else to build the same thing.

Screenshot_20211013-022307_Gallery.jpg
Screenshot_20211013-022339_Gallery.jpg
Screenshot_20211013-022440_Gallery.jpg

Last edited:
I agree with @Miss Lydia -- great job, but I'd add ventilation. When I converted a large dog house for a few ducks, I was afraid of making a mess of the original construction. (Big disclaimer: I have Very Poor Carpentry Skills).

So, I wrangled the front grill off a big old box fan, tacked a framework onto the front of the house, hinged the grill and made it into a door. It's kept out predators and allows ventilation.

Back
Top Bottom