Duck attached by neighbors dog and bleeding bad! Help!

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by toxicworlda, Jan 27, 2017.

1. toxicworlda

toxicworlda Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 9, 2016
    My female runner duck was attached by our neighbors small dog. It's walking fine and doesn't seem weak but its dripping blood from two small spots on its chest is there anything to do my mom is calling the vet but it's bleeding so much

2. Adalida

Adalida Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 21, 2015
    Montana
    Is the duck contained somehow so she can't move around too much? It would be best to limit her movement. I hope the vet can attend to her, that is by far your best option.

3. Adalida

Nov 21, 2015
    Montana
    Is she a tame duck? If you could hold her and apply gentle pressure to the wounds, that would help stop the bleeding. But it depends on how tame she is, if she would freak out and struggle, don't do it!

4. toxicworlda

Sep 9, 2016
    Yes she is contained, I put my ducks in their pen which isn't that big and so far she's just been laying down. As for being tame she will run from you but when you pick her up she calms down quite a bit

5. Adalida

Nov 21, 2015
    Montana
    I think I'd try to catch her if she's not one to go into full blown panic (I have two Runners who go completely insane when I pick them up, that's why I asked). Even if you don't take her to the vet, you'll want to wash her wounds. Dogs have such nasty germy mouths, and puncture wounds can get infected pretty easily. Has the bleeding stopped?

6. toxicworlda

Sep 9, 2016
    I just checked on her and the one on the left has almost completely stopped and the one on the right is still bleeding but not pouring out like it was I think I'll just let her rest until it scabs over then probably try to clean it. I don't want her to move much while it's still bleeding a little. Thank you so much I was so scared when I saw her blood dripping everywhere.

Last edited: Jan 27, 2017
  7. Adalida

Nov 21, 2015
    Montana
  8. Amiga

Amiga Overrun with Runners Premium Member

Jan 3, 2010
    Southern New England
    Storey's Guide suggests trimming the feathers around deep or jagged wounds. Hold a piece of cloth or bandage over the wound while trimming to avoid getting little pieces of feathers onto the wound.

Wash with warm water and mild soap, rinse with warm water.

Antibiotic ointment can help prevent infection, and the duck must be kept away from flies that will lay eggs in open wounds.

I would also look under the wings and around the vent for other puncture wounds.

Ducks can recover from awful injuries.

Hugs.

9. toxicworlda

Sep 9, 2016
    I'm really late but here's an update anyway.
    She has made a complete recovery and even has a nest full of eggs waiting to hatch. Thank you so much for helping.

Last edited: Apr 10, 2017

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by