Duck attack..literally the ducks were attacking....a stick?

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by newbyduckmom, Oct 17, 2011.

1. newbyduckmom

newbyduckmom Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 18, 2011
    Snohomish County, WA
    Just heard a commotion out in the duck yard. Looked out the window to see my one laying hen attacking something on the ground with three other ducks attacking the back of her head as she was attacking the "critter". Ran out to the duck pen to see what it was. They scattered when I came out. There is a stick laying on the ground where the commotion took place. ??? Why in the heck would they attack a 4 inches stick? I see no evidence of anything else in the area, but they were sure going at that stick (?). All ducks are fine....even the back of my hens head.

2. mhwc56

mhwc56 Chillin' With My Peeps

LOL...who can say what had them going after the stick for ? Maybe they thought it was a snake ........[​IMG]

3. duckluck

duckluck Dulcimyrh Ducks

Oct 22, 2009
    Illinois
    Are you *sure* it's a stick? We have bugs here called "walking sticks" that resemble sticks, and some preying mantises can look that way as well. I'm sure ducks would love to attack one of those!

4. newbyduckmom

newbyduckmom Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 18, 2011
    Snohomish County, WA
    Yes, it is, indeed, a stick. I picked it up to see why it was so special. No walking sticks or preying mantis here. At least not at this time of the year.

5. duckluck

duckluck Dulcimyrh Ducks

Oct 22, 2009
    Illinois
    Silly ducks! [​IMG]

6. Evelle

Evelle Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 27, 2011
    North Idaho
    what goof balls you have there maybe it smelled good...???[​IMG]

7. D'Angelo N Va.

D'Angelo N Va. Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 28, 2009
    Lol yeah something had to set them off about it. Must have looked threatening to the sitting duck.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by