Duck attack

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by BeeJayMusc, Oct 1, 2015.

1. BeeJayMusc

BeeJayMusc New Egg

Oct 1, 2015
    [​IMG]

any idea what messed up my alpha female? she stayed out one night and this is what we found. Figured if it was a coyote, she would not be with us. no infections as of yet, but intrigued as to what did this to her.

2. Miss Lydia

Miss Lydia Running over with Blessings Premium Member

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    I think a coyote, dog, fox, raccoon, bob cat etc would have killed her. It's amazing she is still alive please put her up from now on, and go to the Predator/Prey thread and ask what they think. What about your own dog/dogs some dogs will play rough with a duck and not kill. But most of the time it doesn't end well for the duck.

Welcome to BYC.

3. BeeJayMusc

BeeJayMusc New Egg

Oct 1, 2015
    We lost count when we put the 21 to bed and she never reared her head till the morning. We had to put our dog down at the end of August. She was 15 and could not keep up with the ducks let alone catch them. Tonight I saw 10 Coyotes on the other side of the road. 3 adults and 7 young. I am now thinking that she was a training run for the young coys. I will repost in the predator area though. thanks for your input

4. Miss Lydia

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    Amazing she lived to tell it. lol let us know what they think over in the Preds thread.

Sorry for the loss of your dog.

5. BeeJayMusc

BeeJayMusc New Egg

Oct 1, 2015
    Well, today she died. I saw her take her last breath. upon further investigation I found her underside was torn up pretty good. I checked with the local wildlife conservation officer and he said it was more than likely a weasel or a mink. There were a mess of minks set free from a mink farm in the are about a month ago, so he is guessing they made it to my area now. time for new fencing now.

6. JadeComputerGal

JadeComputerGal Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 19, 2014
    West Chester, PA, USA
    This is the first time I've seen this thread, and I'm so sorry for your loss. A mink is possible, and many would think those cute little critters couldn't hurt a duck, but they are duck predators. To spare yourself and your ducks this in the future, remember that your fencing is going to have to be hardware cloth, preferably 1/2 inch. Minks can get through most chicken wire.

I really am very sorry, and welcome to BYC.

1 person likes this.
  7. Miss Lydia

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    So sorry for your loss.

8. Carcajou

Carcajou Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 3, 2012
    Delhi, New York
    Welcome to BYC and so very sorry for your loss. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by