Duck Attack

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by Dot's Chooks, Aug 21, 2010.

1. Dot's Chooks

Dot's Chooks New Egg

Jun 20, 2009
    I am fairly new to BYC, I have had chickens, ducks, and turkeys now for over five years. I have lost several animals to dogs, coyotes, and other predators. My ducks were attacked the other night, and my female, Daisy....has sores on her tail and her leg. They have flies, and maggots on them. I rinsed them with water, cleaned them with peroxide, rubbed Betadine and Bacitracin in the wounds. She is eating and drinking. I have placed her in a fenced in area, with a small baby pool....and a large box with straw. She is not moving around a lot, but is alert. I am wondering have I done all that I can do? Any responses would be greatly appreciated.

2. duckluv

duckluv Overrun With Chickens

Aug 20, 2010
    Ohio
    I'm not sure how to help Daisy exept to keep an eye on her. How secure is your duck pen? Do you have Nite-Guard?

3. vetgirl00us

vetgirl00us Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 28, 2010
    Rome, GA
    Make sure you get ALL the maggots and fly eggs off and keep them off. Maggots will get under their skin and eat them from the inside out so you need to be sure they are off.

4. gretchenhau

gretchenhau Chillin' With My Peeps

May 15, 2008
    Lebanon Ohio
    The maggots have to go.

When my duck was attacked, we kept a small fan in the area to keep flies out, they didn't like the breeze. She recovered nicely.

5. GrumpyOldMan

GrumpyOldMan Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 7, 2010
    SE Louisiana
    Quote:Question, not a contradiction or argument. I though maggots would only eat dead tissue, they’ll get into and eat the living tissue?

6. Dot's Chooks

Dot's Chooks New Egg

Jun 20, 2009
    I checked on my duck today. I washed all of her wounds out again with water, peroxide, betadine, and applied more Bacitracin. Although she is still eating and drinking, she just does not look good. I am so sad for her. I think she is in great pain. She lays on one side, with her bad leg up in the air. I do not see any more maggots or eggs. I wonder how long it will take her to heal... As I talked to her today, I told her if she makes it...I will change her name to Lucky...as in Lucky Duck...Hope her sense of humor is still in place.. [​IMG]

7. cracking up

cracking up Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 29, 2009
    So Cal
    I've used super glue on deep wounds to glue the skin together. For the maggots I would spray blu cote or liquid bandage of some sort. Hope she's feeling better soon. I hate it when they're hurt. Maybe a warm bath would be helpful. That's how I found out where all of the wounds were.

8. Baybrio

Baybrio Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 11, 2008
    Poplar Grove, IL
    Quote:Question, not a contradiction or argument. I though maggots would only eat dead tissue, they’ll get into and eat the living tissue?

I was wondering about that also. I watch all those icky medical shows and am sure doctors used maggots to "remove" only the dead skin from burn patients. Maybe different species of maggots eat different things. I am also just curious, not trying to be contradictory or argumentative.

9. Dot's Chooks

Dot's Chooks New Egg

Jun 20, 2009
    I am very, very happy to report that Daisy is officially named Lucky!!! She is walking, swimming, eating, and playing with her friend Donald. All is good with my duckies!! Thank you for so much for all of your helpful information, and replying to my distress signals.

On another note, my husband and I have just built a huge fence around our chicken coop. The fence is 6 1/2 feet tall, and 48 x 64 length and width. I have about twenty five chickens who have continual access to this space. (We have dug about six inches into the ground as well!) I would like for my five turkeys to be able to walk around in this space as well. I have read all of the pros and cons of putting the animals together. [​IMG] There aren't any babies, and all are full grown. I know about blackhead disease. Is this common? What have you experienced?

What about the ducks? Can they go in with the rest of the poultry as well?

Thanks for any feedback. [​IMG]

Dot

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by