Duck attacked by a raccoon

Martrnn

Chirping
Oct 14, 2021
If you have only done the eggs shells a few times, it should be perfectly fine. It is more consistent high levels of calcium that can be detrimental. Even female ducks can't have high levels of calcium till they start to lay eggs, which is around 28 weeks in Muscovy.

His eye may be producing more fluid out of it's tear duct to clean the eye. That's great that your are keeping up with the saline, it should help a lot keeping it cleaned out. You can put some Neosporin without pain med on it to help or get some terramycin, which is the best antibiotic for an eye injury.

That is good you were able to get more food in him. Just make sure he is drinking just as much.
I’ve put some neosporin on his eye but not consistently as the liquid was super sticky on his eye and I didn’t know if that was ok. He’s been drinking a decent amount of water today but since I’ve been giving him electrolytes daily, I switched to fresh water today and he doesn’t seem to like it lol. Must be the molasses

Quatie

Crowing
Oct 16, 2020
Northern California
I’ve put some neosporin on his eye but not consistently as the liquid was super sticky on his eye and I didn’t know if that was ok. He’s been drinking a decent amount of water today but since I’ve been giving him electrolytes daily, I switched to fresh water today and he doesn’t seem to like it lol. Must be the molasses
That is good that he is drinking more. I would keep him on the added electrolytes until he starts eating on his own. In order to absorb water, we need salts and sugars. They actually help draw water into the body. Since he is currently not eating much yet, those electrolytes will still be needed to help absorb water. But you can start to reduce the amount of molasses and wean him off it as he gets more food in his system.

But I don't blame him for liking sugar water 😄.

Martrnn

Chirping
Oct 14, 2021
That is good that he is drinking more. I would keep him on the added electrolytes until he starts eating on his own. In order to absorb water, we need salts and sugars. They actually help draw water into the body. Since he is currently not eating much yet, those electrolytes will still be needed to help absorb water. But you can start to reduce the amount of molasses and wean him off it as he gets more food in his system.

But I don't blame him for liking sugar water 😄.
Haha lol. Well earlier after I cleaned his wound and gave him a little bath, he scratched his eyelid (little wound from the attack) with his own foot and it bled a little. I’m guessing the wound was healing well and it got a little itchy so I ran saline solution over it again. Is there anything I should worry about? Also, should I clean the liquid coming from his eyes? You were right. The liquid is indeed coming out of his tear duct. His eye that I thought was blind is improving a lot but I’m not 100% sure that he still has vision in that eye. It is however opening a bit now so fingers crossed.

Last edited:

Angel07

Songster
Mar 11, 2021
Victoria, Australia
If I could I would’ve taken to a vet from the beginning but I’m only 16 with no money. 🥲 I’ll ask my parents and see how they feel about it first. If not, I might have a few friends that have some connections. For now I just hope he will recover smoothly.
Hi, just letting you know to be careful putting your age in byc. I actually had mine edited today because you're not allowed to state your age. Good luck with your duck!

Quatie

Crowing
Oct 16, 2020
Northern California
Haha lol. Well earlier after I cleaned his wound and gave him a little bath, he scratched his eyelid (little wound from the attack) with his own foot and it bled a little. I’m guessing the wound was healing well and it got a little itchy so I ran saline solution over it again. Is there anything I should worry about? Also, should I clean the liquid coming from his eyes? You were right. The liquid is indeed coming out of his tear duct. His eye that I thought was blind is improving a lot but I’m not 100% sure that he still has vision in that eye. It is however opening a bit now so fingers crossed.
Keep putting on the Neosporin without pain on the wounds. You can also put on some hydrocortisone (anti-itch cream), and it may help with any irritation.

When they have eye irritation, they produce extra liquid from their tear ducts. It can get caked on their feathers near their eyes. I would take a damp cloth and wipe it off.

As long as you are making sure he eats food, particularly pellets, and is drinking, there is not a whole lot more that you can do other than give it time. You could do antibiotics, but that may or may not help. The terramycin is probably the main one to try. You can get it at TSC, chewy.com, or https://allbirdproducts.com/products/terramycin-ointment

Right now it is just going to take time. It may take weeks before he feels himself again.

Kbrearley

Hatching
Oct 18, 2021
Hi guys. An hour ago my 8 week old Muscovy was attacked by a raccoon. I ran out and kicked the hell out of it but it got away. My duck has a small hole in its head but is however conscious. I cleaned the wound and ran warm saline water over the wound. He is however too weak to stand or drink/eat. He’s not even strong enough to lift his head. One of his eye is fully shut and the other one is halfway open but he’s still breathing. What can I do?
Thanks
So sorry to hear this! How is he doing? My daughter's duck was attacked by a raccoon too. It's heartbreaking. Sending prayers your way!

Martrnn

Chirping
Oct 14, 2021
Keep putting on the Neosporin without pain on the wounds. You can also put on some hydrocortisone (anti-itch cream), and it may help with any irritation.

When they have eye irritation, they produce extra liquid from their tear ducts. It can get caked on their feathers near their eyes. I would take a damp cloth and wipe it off.

As long as you are making sure he eats food, particularly pellets, and is drinking, there is not a whole lot more that you can do other than give it time. You could do antibiotics, but that may or may not help. The terramycin is probably the main one to try. You can get it at TSC, chewy.com, or https://allbirdproducts.com/products/terramycin-ointment

Right now it is just going to take time. It may take weeks before he feels himself again.
Hey Quatie. Thanks for letting me know. Good news! I fed him before I got to school and just let him out for some fresh air. Seems like he’s doing better. He’s not eating more or less than yesterday so far but definitely more active. I let him out and he is sitting on the grass looking for some bugs I’m guessing. Now when I open his bill with my fingers he bites it back a little bit (he’s never liked anyone touching his bill) His true personality is starting to come back haha. I’ve been looking everywhere for TSC but none that I’ve found ships to Canada.

Martrnn

Chirping
Oct 14, 2021
So sorry to hear this! How is he doing? My daughter's duck was attacked by a raccoon too. It's heartbreaking. Sending prayers your way!
Hey there. Thanks for the prayers. He’s doing much better than from the beginning! Hopefully he will have a speedy recovery.

Quatie

Crowing
Oct 16, 2020
Northern California
Hey Quatie. Thanks for letting me know. Good news! I fed him before I got to school and just let him out for some fresh air. Seems like he’s doing better. He’s not eating more or less than yesterday so far but definitely more active. I let him out and he is sitting on the grass looking for some bugs I’m guessing. Now when I open his bill with my fingers he bites it back a little bit (he’s never liked anyone touching his bill) His true personality is starting to come back haha. I’ve been looking everywhere for TSC but none that I’ve found ships to Canada.
That is great to hear that he is starting to perk up. Fresh air can definitely help them cheer up.

Sorry, I didn't realize you were in Canada. Allbirdsproducts does say they ship internationally, but maybe they don't ship to Canada. A local feed store in your area may carry it. You could give them a call and see. If they don't, they may be able to point you to a store that does.

Top Bottom