Duck attacked by dog

baymillers

Hatching
5 Years
Oct 1, 2014
Byhalia, MS
We have Pekin Ducks that were attacked by our dog. Four of the five have died. We have one living and she was one of the sickest. Multiple open wounds and bc we left her out the first night she had maggots. We have cleaned all her wounds and think we have gotten rid of all maggots & she is now inside. She can't use her left back leg, she can move but can't stand in it. I have sprayed her with wound-kote per another thread I read and she seems to be doing a lot better. She had started trying to "honk" and is even boring us (which is a good sign). We started her on an oral abx that I got from the local feed store. She still isn't eating. But, she drinks. Her stool is watery with some green stuff in it. I've tried to give her dried meal worms and we she had constant access to chick starter. Any suggestions on what to feed her? What else can we do?! Please help!!

So sorry about your loss. We had a similar situation but our ducks neck was broken but she didn't make it. I think maggots may not be a bad thing since they ONLY eat dead flesh. We live in the Philadelphia area and found an animal clinic that accepted farm animals. That might be a good thing to look into. I wish I could help more. Prayers that she makes it!!

We have Pekin Ducks that were attacked by our dog. Four of the five have died. We have one living and she was one of the sickest. Multiple open wounds and bc we left her out the first night she had maggots. We have cleaned all her wounds and think we have gotten rid of all maggots & she is now inside. She can't use her left back leg, she can move but can't stand in it. I have sprayed her with wound-kote per another thread I read and she seems to be doing a lot better. She had started trying to "honk" and is even boring us (which is a good sign). We started her on an oral abx that I got from the local feed store. She still isn't eating. But, she drinks. Her stool is watery with some green stuff in it. I've tried to give her dried meal worms and we she had constant access to chick starter. Any suggestions on what to feed her? What else can we do?! Please help!!
Are you giving her vitamins? poultry vits in her water will help give her immune system help to fight off infections. Usually after an attack they are in shock so good idea to keep her inside and warm and you might try washing her wounds out with salt water, also Veterycin spray for infection and wounds is good. and of course wound kote Giving water therapy may help with the leg it will keep the muscle from getting too weak but I would not try and get her to walk till she is ready. Soaking in Epsom salt water may help with swelling I use either a bucket or a dish pan. This way they can't drink the water because ES is also a laxative. I would use a dish pan with a Pekin have her lay in the water since I have Muscovys they usually take up most of the pan and can't get their heads into the water. This is not an over night fix it will take time to heal. Also if there are any maggots left the salt water will help bring them out. what is oral abx. As for eating try making her feed into a gruel with some warm water she may take it that way. Not much to start with that way your not wasting. And add some meal worms into it. Sure hope she pulls through.
fl.gif

No vitamins. We did get her to drink some Gatorade. Oral abx is just short for oral antibiotics. We got them from the feed store and I've been sprinkling some in her water.

Thank you all. We gave her some meal worms and chick starter after I soaked it in hot water. She ate some of it. Tomorrow we will try with the tub or a small pool of
Water. I think she may be too big for a pan. Thank you all for your advice. This is my first time posting as I just found this site the other day. So excited to have this resource.
1f604.png

No vitamins. We did get her to drink some Gatorade. Oral abx is just short for oral antibiotics. We got them from the feed store and I've been sprinkling some in her water.

Thank you all. We gave her some meal worms and chick starter after I soaked it in hot water. She ate some of it. Tomorrow we will try with the tub or a small pool of
Water. I think she may be too big for a pan. Thank you all for your advice. This is my first time posting as I just found this site the other day. So excited to have this resource.
1f604.png

MY Muscovy fill the dish pan up but still fits, only reason I like the pan is they fill it and can't get to the Epsom Salt water but ES is very good for hurt muscles and healing. Awesome news that she ate some food. Keep up the TLC.

AND Welcome to BYC!!

Back
Top Bottom