duck attacked by fox what do you think is the problem?

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by louandneil, Dec 17, 2012.

1. louandneil

louandneil Out Of The Brooder

Jun 23, 2011
    My Duck was attacked the other night by a fox. He killed two and injured 3. We thought she was dead at first as she was on her back but then her foot started moving. We got her in the house and she had no visible injuries. We put her in a box where she kept falling and getting stuck on her back so we propped her with towels. The next day when she was calmer we put her in the bath where she can kick both her legs and swim about. She is slightly wonky though. She looks very happy in the water and quacks. HOWEVER she can not stand at all. She just falls over or stands so tall she falls on her back. She eats and drinks fine. Any thoughts please

2. willowbranchfarm

willowbranchfarm Chicken Boots

Oct 3, 2011
    Virginia
    My Coop
    Brain damage maybe???

3. louandneil

Jun 23, 2011
    oh I didnt think of that one. She was definatly held by her neck at some point of it all

4. willowbranchfarm

willowbranchfarm Chicken Boots

Oct 3, 2011
    Virginia
    My Coop
    Poor girl. I hope she gets better.

1 person likes this.
  5. louandneil

Jun 23, 2011
    thanks

6. jdywntr

jdywntr Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 31, 2009
    Somerville, AL
    Have you checked her for any broken bones?

I would gently feel her legs and pelvis as much as you can to see if that is the problem. She could have an injury to her spine. I would keep her quiet like you are and get her in the tub as much as you can. Ducks are pretty resilient.

7. iamcuriositycat

iamcuriositycat Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 30, 2009
    Charlotte, NC
    Many sorts of injuries could cause the problem. There is probably not much you can do but keep her warm and safe and off her feet for a while. Swimming is excellent for her if she can do so safely.

The bad news is that it could be a permanent injury, and she may never recover.

The good news is that ducks are unbelievably resilient and there's a good chance that she'll surprise you at how well she recovers.

Keep us posted!

8. louandneil

Jun 23, 2011
    I will thank you

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by