Duck attacked by hawk, has a puncture, labored breathing - can't quack

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by ChickMommaSD, Oct 26, 2013.

1. ChickMommaSD

ChickMommaSD Out Of The Brooder

Feb 28, 2013
    Carlsbad, CA
    Hi - We lost one duck yesterday to hawk attack. We know b/c the other was grazing with her and she has some scratches around the face and a puncture around the breastplate area.

She is not as weak as yesterday. She wouldn't even drink yesterday and hid out in her house but the others started rousting her so we thought better to separate her. We gave her a warm bath and set her up in another area where the other ducks come over and check on her but she has more peace to rest.

She is not eating yet but she is finally drinking on her own, so we are hopeful, but she keeps sucking in air like it's her lung. There is no air or noise coming from her chest and there was barely any blood once we pulled back the features to see the puncture. Hopefully just swollen windpipe/throat (or crop??) from the attack but b/c she is drinking and seems a bit stronger, less timid today, we've decided not to go to the vet as I'm not sure what they'd do for her besides euthanize.

Given she's drinking and seems stronger today and there isn't air or noise coming out of her chest, we want to give her a chance to rest and see if she can recover. Wondering if you have any other suggestions or feedback.

Last edited: Oct 26, 2013
  2. bargain

bargain Love God, Hubby & farm Premium Member

Apr 13, 2008
    Bowdon, GA
    I would be sure to keep her in good supply of water and might add a few electrolytes to it. I would consider making a mash of her food (with water) so she could eat some of it easily. Be sure that the watering dish is deep enough so her nares can be down in it. Keep her in a protected area, I am sure you are and clean the wound area. Do give her a little swimming pool with clean water to get in ... This would really help with wound care. If she has ever eaten other treats, I would try some scrambled eggs to give her some protein.... Need to get some food into her as well. Best of luck and praying for her healing! Nancy

3. ChickMommaSD

Feb 28, 2013
    Carlsbad, CA
    Hi! Thank you very much! I really appreciate your help. We do have her isolated and she's got her own safe area with her own pool and water. she is drinking but I haven't seen her eat any of the food I'm floating in her pool b/c she won't eat anything out of a bowl, but I haven't tried other foods like eggs, so I will try that in the morning!!So far so good - she's not doing that labored breathing through the mouth thing anymore, so I'm thinking the swelling might be coming down or she's calming down after being in shock from the attack. Thanks again and will let you know what happens. T

4. bargain

bargain Love God, Hubby & farm Premium Member

Apr 13, 2008
    Bowdon, GA
    Forgot to mention you can neosporin the wound on face gently, Also, if you stay with her, (Don't let her drink this water) , you can put epsom salts in some warm water and let her float in it ( a shallow tub (like a dishwashing tub) is ideal for the chest wound, if it looks like it needs it. The reason you don't want her to drink from it is that it would cause laxative effectives. Still have you and your duck in my thoughts and prayers and PLEASE no aspirin or other meds for her that are not on a Vet's listing. Time and love with waterfowl are the best healers!

5. ChickMommaSD

Feb 28, 2013
    Carlsbad, CA
    Thank you so much!! She's not eating yet (not even the egg i made for her!) but she's still drinking, and now back w/ the others b/c she seemed like she was starting to show interest in wanting to be with them when they would drop by for a peak, so hope she'll eat tomorrow!!

6. pac1712

pac1712 Out Of The Brooder

Oct 29, 2013
    give her som plain complan

7. ochochicas

ochochicas Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 3, 2014
    Washington State
    What ended up happening with your duck? Hopefully it was OK!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by