duck attacked by mink

EskiBear

Chirping
Sep 16, 2022
hi, earlier i went outside and found 4 of our ducks killed and one injured (one is still missing). she was laying in the back corner of the house, and i initially thought she was dead but realized she wasn’t when i saw her breathing. she doesn’t seem to have any open wounds, but the feathers on the back of her neck are matted down and crusty (we currently have a warm damp towel on it to loosen them up), so im not 100% sure. she is breathing fine but is obviously traumatized. she’s very disoriented and has a hard time standing up (with assistance she kind of can). she also can’t hold her head up very well, but she tries to move it so im assuming nothing is severed. does anyone know of anything i can do to help her? once we get a better look at her neck i will update; ive had one traumatized duck before but it wasn’t this bad.

Move her to a quiet and calm area alone. Feed her soft foods, and water. Don't try to keep on touching her, it can traumatize her even more. Wait like 1-2 hours, and if you see her moving a little more, than keep on feeding. Try to keep her calm and relaxed. Can you send pics if you can?

Move her to a quiet and calm area alone. Feed her soft foods, and water. Don't try to keep on touching her, it can traumatize her even more. Wait like 1-2 hours, and if you see her moving a little more, than keep on feeding. Try to keep her calm and relaxed. Can you send pics if you can?
im not home at the moment but i will post photos when i can. she’s been drinking a little but we haven’t tried feeding her yet because her head and neck are kind of floppy. she has been more energetic and occasionally tries to stand/move around

Back
Top Bottom