Duck attacked by Raccoon (Still alive is there hope?)

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by Baylor, Aug 15, 2012.

1. Baylor

Baylor Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 25, 2011
    [​IMG]
    Tues night at 3 am I was woken up by my ducks going crazy in their pen (which is right outside my bedroom wall). Now this happens often probably why I am always tired during the day. 9 out of 10 times they are just getting a little crazy and no predators are around a couple of times I have found a raccoon hanging on their galvanized steel cage (actually a dog run we built out). When I got outside immediately I saw the raccoons eyes halfway down my fence line with something (had no idea at this time what it could be since my cage was closed up still). I couldnt scare it off tried making noise pounding my light on the fence etc...He wasnt leaving what he had caught. So I got close enough to see he had a duck - I ran towards him screaming so he let her go but only to get away a short distance and still with the idea to get his catch back. Yes I recognize at this time my mathematical reasoning was flawed and I too could have been attacked by the beast but all I cared about was this duck. So I lifted up her head and body that was slumped between my fence posts and she was bloated feeling really squishy and I couldnt feel a heart beat or anything. I gently laid her back down and my husband came out to inspect and all of a sudden she moved. So I quickly rushed her into the bathtub to clean out her wounds and see how bad she was attacked. She was having a hard time holding her neck up until today it would just slump over. I figured her neck wasnt broken because she could move it with her own strength and hold it she just wasnt doing it all the time like 10% maybe. She had several superficial cuts on her neck. Several puncture wounds in her neck (feathers missing galore). And her beak was a bit marred. Her eyes were probably the worse. Not sure if she actually has them both. I think I see one occasionally when she opens it not sure on the other eye. I have tried to open it but after the 1st 3 hrs with antibiotic eye ointment it finally closed up and she hasnt really opened it again. The other one she tries to open and watch you.
    I cleaned all the wounds up made sure nothing looked beyond repair and put antibiotic ointment on the wounds on her beak and body. Special stuff for her eyes. I used the hairdryer to dry her feathers from the bath and tucked her into the towels for the rest of the night with prayers she would make it.
    My 9 yr old had duck duty and he is a perfectionist and good chore kid so I assumed all was well and didnt double back and recount the ducks in the cage. We checked our cameras and found that he didnt get Peeps in the cage (she often hides during this time). Peeps tried all night long to figure out how to get back in the cage but the raccoon found her. Fortunately he drug her by the duck cage and they all freaked out which woke me up. So the 9 yr old is getting a difficult lesson in consequences when things are not done properly and how mistakes can have sad results. Accidents happen which we remind him but he is still a bit upset that he put Peeps through this.
    When I woke up a few hours later and checked on her and she had pooped so I figured that was a good thing. She continues to poop even to this evening so still a good sign I hope. She was laying in a nest (assuming it was almost time to lay her daily egg) but didnt accomplish that goal. I was worried she was going to become eggbound along this process due to the shock in her system. Today she laid an egg - hopefully another good sign? Today is the 1st day that she is drinking from a dropper placed in her beak and trying to take the liquid back - I am also mixing in some baby food to get her some protein and calories. I am also giving her vitamins poly v (baby ones) in hopes that every little bit helps her regain her strength.
    Tonight when we got home we decided to see if giving her water to swim would be a good thing. She really wasnt holding her head upright yet. I placed her head upright filled the tub and she held her head herself for 45 mins - swimming only to get away from me as I was putting water over her head (which she drank really good when I did that).
    We are almost 48 hrs to when the incident occurred. Any ideas of things I could do differently she is improving each day I am just worried it isnt enough. Can a duck get rabies from a coon? I have the coon trapped - placed the trap by the blood stained grass knowing it would return under darkness again.

Sorry for the rant! [​IMG]

2. Amiga

Amiga Overrun with Runners

Jan 3, 2010
    Southern New England
    [​IMG]

I can only strongly suggest you get her on oral or injectable antibiotics. Her wounds have, in my opinion, introduced bacteria into her bloodstream and she needs antibiotics. I am not an expert on what to give or how much, I just know she needs them, and continue with the TLC.

3. Paigej

Paigej Out Of The Brooder

Jun 29, 2012
    Houston, TX
    Wow what an incredible story. It sounds like you've done a good job getting Peeps back to health. The antibiotics Amiga suggested are a good idea. I hope Peeps continues to get better.

4. Baylor

Nov 25, 2011
    Thanks Amiga - I will check on how to get oral or injectable antibiotics? Is that something TSC sells or do I need a vet? I will also ask a farm friend today at work. She is still alive this am and did a good job eating/drinking from the dropper once placed in her mouth. She pooped again as well. [​IMG] Fingers crossed she makes it.

5. Amiga

Jan 3, 2010
    Southern New England
    I believe TSC sells it, though any input from a vet might be helpful (I have heard of some UNhelpful vets).

There are threads here on BYC with detailed instructions for giving injections, and reports about what antibiotics have been used.

6. Miss Lydia

Miss Lydia Loving this country life Premium Member

according to the meds comparison chart I have from twin City Poultry they recommend Penicillin for blood born infections. So glad Peeps made it this far and hope she continues to get 100%. what a tough lesson to learn.

7. Baylor

Nov 25, 2011
    Evening update. I found some powder antibiotics to put in water so started those tonight. Right away this am when we woke up she was walking around the tub holding her head all by herself [​IMG]so we were super excited. Started giving her baby food with pedilyte again through the dropper. We then just held up the bowl of water under her beak to see if she would drink on her own and she did - a ton!!!! [​IMG]I have a friend (her original mommy) who is stopping by ever few hours to make sure she is getting water while I am at work. I boiled an egg and mashed really fine and added some water - egg soup - she ate a little but really just prefers the pure water. She doesnt really want to eat real duck food yet I tried she took a couple pieces but wouldnt take anymore. She is still pooping. While giving her swim time tonight she appeared to be trying to lay another egg - I was kinda hopeful she would stop for a bit as I dont want to worry about her being eggbound or using all that energy to lay an egg. She hasnt laid one yet today so we will see what the morning brings. The only thing is she really doesnt seem to be able to see exactly where she is going. I looked with a flashlight and it looks like 2 black things deep inside the eye socket. She opens one all the time and appears to be watching you. The other one is pretty much shut all the time. I really hope she has eyeballs and isnt blinded or without eyeballs. [​IMG] We keep her lubed up with eye ointment several times a day.

Agree Miss Lydia on the lesson for all of us. Crazy that it is the 1st time we have left one out at night and the raccoon gets her. We live on conservation so we have just about every predator around so we live by strict rules for caging in darkness. I learned that lesson with oodles of tears when we 1st got ducks and they free ranged 8 mns day/night with no issues. Then we lost them all in a very short time [​IMG]

Thanks so much for the advise and help . Raccoon #1 relocated to another "place" and trap set for round #2.

8. Miss Lydia

Miss Lydia Loving this country life Premium Member

So happy to hear she is improving, and hoping each day brings more healing. your doing all you can and it is paying off. The warm swims will help bring an egg out if there one in there too. Thanks for the update. Once she starts to really bath she probably open the other eye, Hoping it's good too. [​IMG]

9. Baylor

Nov 25, 2011
    Peeps is still alive and gets better everyday. I asked a vet and she said grind her food and put it in water to encourage her to eat again. After doing that for about 5 days she finally starting digging down in the water to get to the food instead of just drinking the water on top. She is pooping food finally! I know that sounds crazy but I am super excited as that is calories and nutrients she is taking in instead of me having to find a way to get inside her. I think she has two eyeballs (not 100% sure) I still keep them moist with antibiotics daily but she doesnt have a clue where she is walking. She blinks her eyes and opens them but it just looks kinda cloudy back in there. I am certain she received damage to at least the inner eyelids that ducks have. She is desperately trying to preen herself after the tub swims (which she LOVES) but still isnt quite nimble enough with her neck movements to reach those feathers at the root. She tries for quite some time before I relent and blow dry her feathers :) Her wounds are scabbed over and almost coming off now - she had more wounds than I realized from the coon scratching her. Her feathers even look like they are starting to grow out slightly. I realize she may not have vision when this is all said and done with but hopefully we can keep her somewhat happy with her living conditions. I bring her out to the other ducks so she can hear them and they can see her as they witnessed this horrible attack. At 1st they looked at me with a cautious eye - as it appeared I was carrying a dead duck for the 1st week. She now walks around a little with them. I wont integrate her back outside until I know 100% her wounds are all healed up and she gains more energy. I occasionally get the evil eye for the duck smell in the house from her little bathroom ward from the hubby. [​IMG] He knows not to say anything though!

Thanks for all your help Ms Lydia and Amiga! I am very appreciative of all your advice!

10. Amiga

Jan 3, 2010
    Southern New England
    [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by