1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Duck attacked by stray dog

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by ezramyers, Feb 16, 2014.

1. ezramyers

ezramyers New Egg

Feb 16, 2014
    My mom brought home a stray dog and it attacked my duck we rescued from our lake. It's got blood coming out her mouth and she's taking quick rapid breathes. She isn't moving much and her legs are sprawled out to her sides. It happened about a day ago now, we didn't think shed make it through the night but she did. We have her under a heat lamp and have been giving her water in a syrenge. Not sure what else to do, the question came up last night if I should put her out of her misery but I don't think I can do that, she's part of our family. Any help would be great

2. Miss Lydia

Miss Lydia Running over with Blessings Premium Member

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    Did you check her all over for wounds? very important to look under her feather and clean out her wounds, you can put her into a shallow tub of warm water and make sure she is clean also is she able to wash her face herself there maybe a wound in her chest if she is bleeding from her mouth and breathing rapidly, but you need to look her over really well. IF you place her in the tub in shallow water do not leave her unattended. she sounds like she is in shock. make sure heat isn't too warm too. Tell us what wounds you know about now.

3. ezramyers

ezramyers New Egg

Feb 16, 2014
    There aren't any visible wounds, it's all internal. It's warm today in fl so I turned the heat lamp off her. She isn't eating or drinking or moving...her eyes are half shut.

4. Miss Lydia

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    She may not make it but just give her as much supportive care as you can, shock makes them not want to eat or drink so don't try to force at this point she may get chocked or it go into her lungs. At this point I'd just let her know you are there for her talking quietly. if your sure there aren't any visible wounds, I tell ya Ducks can come back from horrendous attacks so lets hope once shock wears off she will too. Is the bloods pouring out of her mouth or has it stopped? you could use some warm water and wash her face off and clean her up a bit.

5. ezramyers

ezramyers New Egg

Feb 16, 2014
    It's just small amounts of blood I see on the crumpled up paper towels I have her laying on in a box outside on my porch. We've been holding her thru the day but her breathing seems to be getting worse. She's already survived a hawk that attacked her and took a chunk out of her breast so she's a tough duck, it's just sad to see her suffering.

6. ezramyers

ezramyers New Egg

Feb 16, 2014
    I've checked all over she just had a little blood on her wing but it just looked like a scratch. She's having trouble holding her head up. The dog slung her around before we could break it up.

7. subhanalah

subhanalah Overrun With Chickens

She probably has some broken bones, possibly punctured something inside? Is a vet a viable option for you?

8. Amiga

Amiga Overrun with Runners Premium Member

Jan 3, 2010
    Southern New England
    I think a vet a.s.a.p. is the way to go.

9. Miss Lydia

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    Dogs do that and she probably has internal injuries. I agree a vet would be the best thing for her.

10. Miss Lydia

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    Hows your duck this evening?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by