Duck attacked by turkey i can see bone help!!!!

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by HannahC1198, Oct 4, 2012.

1. HannahC1198

HannahC1198 Out Of The Brooder

Sep 3, 2012
    My year old rouen "Charlie" was attacked by 2 turkeys last night I found her this morning and am terrified. I can see a good 1/2 inch of her skull the wound extends from just in front of her eyes to a little past the base of her skull I cleaned it up and wrapped it loosely but it is not looking to bright she was attacked by a turtle earlier this year and recovered but was never back up to 100 percent. On top of all this she is now getting"dry duck" but I'm afraid to put her in water because is might make her wound fester. What should I do? there are no avaian vets near my area and the family vet doesn't deal with birds. please help she is my baby and I hatched her from an egg. I just can't stand to lose her.

2. aoxa

aoxa Overrun With Chickens

Turkeys? Your turkeys, or wild turkeys?

I would say clean it out as best you can and apply antibitoic ointment and wrap loosely. I am so sorry :(

3. HannahC1198

Sep 3, 2012
    I just bought these turkeys because my last pair got eaten by coyotes.

4. Amiga

Amiga Overrun with Runners Premium Member

Jan 3, 2010
    Southern New England
    If you can get Veterycin spray that will help, or some mild saline solution to rinse the wound for now.

Keep her indoors away from flies.

Give vitamins, electrolytes and probiotics.

Is the eating or drinking?

5. Wynette

Wynette Moderator Staff Member

Sep 25, 2007
    Michigan
    Also, if you opt to use antibiotic ointment, DO NOT use the type that has pain reliever in it - it is toxic to poultry.

BEST of luck!

6. aoxa

aoxa Overrun With Chickens

I should have noted by anti-biotic ointment, I meant the stuff meant for poultry. I get mine at the feed store and always have some on hand. Thanks for chiming in on this!

7. Amiga

Amiga Overrun with Runners Premium Member

Jan 3, 2010
    Southern New England
    With the bone exposed, there is a risk of bone infection. Wish I could say it is not a big risk, but want you to be aware of what my vet told me about that kind of injury.

If it were me, I would start oral antibiotics right away, keep the wound as clean as possible, keep it away from flies and dirt, and pray and enjoy time with Charlie.

[​IMG]

8. HannahC1198

Sep 3, 2012
    She's eating and drinking and I'm running to the store for some antibiotic ointment. I have her in our shed under a heat lamp and so thankfully there are no flies. Thank you so much for your help I'll keep you all updated on how she's doing. She seems too be acting normal but not walking which is understandable.fingers crossed. [​IMG]

Last edited: Oct 4, 2012
  9. suki'smom

suki'smom Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 4, 2011
    Central Wisconsin
    Aww poor baby! If you want to bathe her just let her swim in a clean bath tub then redress the wound. The antibiotic ointment will repel water so I can't see clean water doing any harm. Good luck!

10. zooweemama

zooweemama Chillin' With My Peeps

I hope she heals wonderfully and quickly!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by